So whats next

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks, bet y'all thought I'd died didn't ya :p

Pimping an Axial... where do you start?!

Some nice touches that make all the difference on the Axial are a good motor, I use a Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller (they are worth it, I've never seen torque like it, but not essential). Also good are Delrin skid (mine's an EEM Double Tri), Delrin lower links (EEM do those too), a Delrin frint steering bar... basically anything that drags should be plastic, not alloy. If you went with a Bender SWX then you got the skid sorted alread, and a Puller won't fit AFAIK, so that's kinda got you so far. I cannot understate how much mine is not it's running Losi Crawler Shocks too, they can be a little iffy to mount on an Axial because they are imperial fittings and the Axial is all metric, but once I got em on mine is top-notch.

Tranny-wise I put metal gears in mine and use a metal v. metal spur with a slipper because I use a HH Cobalt, and in the wrong type of bind I didn't want to rip the tranny apart. I'd rather snap a driveshaft, I've got lots of those spare :p I use hardened metal pinion and ring gears in the axles too, again I'd rather sheer a half shaft, it's easy fixed and I have a bunch of spare dog bones.

Decent wheels, and wheel weighting setup, also makes a massive difference to traction and balance. The right tyres are also pretty important. Because I've been off piste for a while I'm not sure what are the best about at the moment. I'm still using Rock Claws but I might try a few other types this season.

A dig is a very handy weapon. It's not essential, competition courses should either be laid out so you can complete them without a dig or be clearly indicated as dig-only IMO. If you are just messing about on the rocks a dig is nice but it's really a luxury. Still, you bought one now so.. great :D I use a Hot Racing unit on mine and while it's good, it's not perfectly machined and the shaft can bind a little, but that doesn't really show a lot on my rig because it has excess power.

There's lots more to recommend, but I'll probably bore everyone to tears. It's just good to talk about this junk again, I haven't touched it hardly since November when I had that really bad comp day, apart from fixing my handset batteries up with a LiFe battery (which was what caused the bad comp day :p).

Time to rebuild my wheels and get mine running again methinks!

so your not dead? lol....I TOTALLY agree about getting a EEM skid but now that he has a different chassy on the way i dont think the swx skid is the same size as the axial/eem one....

i wanna point out something about dig to alot of guys who dont have it yet on here, its NOT just for turning, dig is the best thing that has happened to crawling yet because of how much it actually helps you crawl, you can climb up some very very steep stuff with dig because you dont have the back tires pushing and pulling the front end over backwards, thus making it way "funner" imo.

so your not dead? lol....I TOTALLY agree about getting a EEM skid but now that he has a different chassy on the way i dont think the swx skid is the same size as the axial/eem one....

i wanna point out something about dig to alot of guys who dont have it yet on here, its NOT just for turning, dig is the best thing that has happened to crawling yet because of how much it actually helps you crawl, you can climb up some very very steep stuff with dig because you dont have the back tires pushing and pulling the front end over backwards, thus making it way "funner" imo.

You would be correct about the skid on the SWX chassis, the SWX skid is longer and narrower then the stock skid, it is also not reverse triangulation, but the lower links are inside of the chassis, as for dig I totally agree with you SNG, besides turning and climbing steeper stuff, it can also help you to bring a axle down that does not want to settle, helping to get the crawler stable again...

i think i will be upgrading mine soon. the fun funds have been lacking.. i want to get the eem skid, bta kit, and rear dual triangle plate. i want to try rear steer but i dont think you can run both rear steer and dig on a shafty. adding the wheel weight helped me a lot!

Back