So the spur gear in my kid's Stampede...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan81

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
are already starting to strip out.

One thing I notice is that the screws that secure the motor to set the gear mesh don't feel like they tighten down very nicely. It's possible that they have vibrated loose and caused the gear mesh to widen.

Is there anything I can do to fix that so that it doesn't happen again?

I was able to set the mesh perfectly and the car will still run that way (it looks like about 10 teeth are just missing the very tips) but who knows how long it will last. Is it worth splurging for a metal gear, or am I just throwing money away?

I do have an 83 tooth spur gear that I got in my lot of junk.... will the titan 12t motor handle the 83 tooth gear ok in the hands of a child? I assume he will have to be very vigilant with the motor temperatures.

I might add by the way that he loves it, and he is doing a great job taking care of it. He's even taking after uncle Rolex and giving it a bath once in a while. :D

What a guy, what a guy. :first_place: I couldn't be more proud. :D

Get some blue loctite for the motor mount screws.
Do you know the paper strip method of setting the spur?

What a guy, what a guy. :first_place: I couldn't be more proud. :D

Get some blue loctite for the motor mount screws.
Do you know the paper strip method of setting the spur?

Yeah I have done that method on my rusty before several times. I have even showed him how to do it on mine before he got this one. I would assume that it was set properly at the factory and just loosened up from driving (jumping) it.
:hehe:

I'd go the loctite method first to ensure the mesh is correct. Otherwise going with metal will simply tear it up too or transfer the damage elsewhere, like inside the transmission.

I'd go the loctite method first to ensure the mesh is correct. Otherwise going with metal will simply tear it up too or transfer the damage elsewhere, like inside the transmission.

This is your best bet.

+1 to the loctite, I'd also make sure the pinion is in good condition. I had one that was worn so that the teeth were sharp and would wear my spur down.

This is your best bet.

Hilarious user name man!!! Lol.
4y6ahe4y.jpg

Back