so... i messed up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitromx

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I ordered a piston/sleeve kit for my older 2.5 tmaxx trough eBay, turns out I messed up and ended up getting the 3.3 (don't ask me how, I just realized as I was about to disassemble).

I assume this piston is a larger diameter an wont fit the 2.5 engine right?

I can just hold on to this for when my 3.3 needs a rebuild, but what can I do about my 2.5?

I really dont want to buy another piston/sleeve kit...

I remember somone talking about resizeing, is it like getting the cyl cut larger and getting a bigger piston?? or where can I get info on that?

Thanks guys, I really am new to nitro an learning as I go.

Last edited:
The 3.3 piston and sleeve will not fit the 2.5 engine block.

Resizing the sleeve means the top of the sleeve at the pinch zone is mechanically (pinched) reduced back down to size so the existing piston will fit tight once again and bring back the compression lost due to wear of the sleeve and piston.

RC engines are not bored and refitted with larger pistons as the sleeves are a tapered fit to the ring-less piston and the inside is usually coated with Chrome or other material which would be removed/damaged in the boring process.

There are quite a few companies that re-size sleeves for a relatively low cost compared to a new piston and sleeve. Most who have the process done by a reputable company get 1 -2 gallons more fuel through the engine.

Where did you get the kit piston/sleeve at? Depending on where you got it besides Ebay, they will probably just switch you out for the one you need. I have done this a couple times you will have to cover shipping and tracking but other than that it all depends where you got the part. IMHO I would do this first before you spend un-needed costs.

He already has a 3.3 engine...Needs to keep the new P/S for the inevitable.:)

Oh I didnt see that he had a 3.3.....

http://rayaracing.com/

These guys are great and easy to deal with. I had them repinch my OFNA Picco .12 for my Team Magic G4. I went with the tight pinch and the starter box struggled a little during rebreakin to turn it over. Burned about a 1/2 gallon so far with no issue. My total cost was $23

Thanks for the info guys

I did got it trough eBay HPI-Killer, and as Snook Man said, ill keep it for the future.

Thanks for the tip Phins Fan, ill look at their site

I will second rayaracing as will most people on here. They have great prices and do quality work.