So i dyed my rims..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well i removed the layer of chrome kind of a hassle..
then just dropped them in a boiling pot of black dye..

Reason for this my chrome was slowly chipping away:\

well tell me how they came out

Attachments

• 2011-11-12_16-37-09_514.jpg
    2011-11-12_16-37-09_514.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 136
Blacked out looks great almost always!

Does this process take a special kind of dye? Is it Available in other colors?

well i used "Rit" dye and specified on any how to video
Rit dye has a variety of colors but I'm not sure how the rims will come out
because my rims dont have gloss..

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Does this process take a special kind of dye? Is it Available in other colors?

well i used "Rit" dye and specified on any how to video
Rit dye has a variety of colors but I'm not sure how the rims will come out
because my rims dont have gloss..

Looks good to me!! I like the blackout rim look. I have that on a couple sets of tires. Not all rims will dye but it is worth a try. I have done it in the past...one worked great; one set came out light purple no matter how long I left them and sucked.

Your rims came out nice. What did you use to remove the chrome? I just did mine in black as well. The chrome came right off, but the yellow undercoat was almost impossible in some spots and kept the dye from penetrating the plastic.

I did my factory T-Maxx rimms in blue and they turned out ok just needed to leave them in longer did get as dark blue as i would have liked.

Looks good to me!! I like the blackout rim look. I have that on a couple sets of tires. Not all rims will dye but it is worth a try. I have done it in the past...one worked great; one set came out light purple no matter how long I left them and sucked.

We'll maybe you still have a layer of chrome?
Thar happened to me the first time I tried dying my rims
Didn't no you can't dye chrome

---------- Post added at 6:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:19 PM ----------

I did my factory T-Maxx rimms in blue and they turned out ok just needed to leave them in longer did get as dark blue as i would have liked.

Well you can always go back but you'll have it to remove the rim from the tire that's just a hassle

So you can dye the wheels with the tires on them? i was thinking about doing mine but didnt want to take the tires off......

Last edited:
We'll maybe you still have a layer of chrome?
Thar happened to me the first time I tried dying my rims
Didn't no you can't dye chrome
They were fully stripped with a media blaster. It just depends on the make up of the plastic if it wil dye correctly. Some work good some don't.

So you can dye the wheels with the tires on them? i was thinking about doing mine but didnt want to take the tires off......

not sure they make pots that big
but i dont think that recomemded lol

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

They were fully stripped with a media blaster. It just depends on the make up of the plastic if it wil dye correctly. Some work good some don't.

oh thanks well i had a few purple spots then i saw it it started to flake and the rim was black?