So here we go on my XL 5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I started the tear down yesterday and so far all looks pretty good missing a few screws here and there and the motor mount is cracked. I got some pics of it all not done tearing down yet but am working on it.

photo921.jpg

the lrp has a rotostart backplate I didn't receive the wand will a standard HPI wand fit?

photo914.jpg

Cracked motor mount got a new one in the parts box

photo910.jpg

missing motor mount bolt the other three where loose causing the engine to rock in the mount.

photo3-2.jpg

traxxas servo used for the throttle I have a box with servos so I will be replacing once I see what I have may need some opinions.

photo903.jpg

steering servo will probably replace also one of the screws was missing off the steering post.

photo1-1.jpg

underside of truck looks pretty clean.

photo902.jpg

antenna tube is shot I have another one so all good.

photo908.jpg

side view all looks good

photo900.jpg

other side view

photo906.jpg

top view

photo904.jpg

another top view

Overall I am content with the purchase found one broken hex pin and one stripped wheel hub opposite corners. The engine has great compression when turning over by hand I will post pics of anything else I find out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Is the savage SF-50 servo worth putting in place of the throttle servo or should I see what I have before making the swap.

Last edited:
Ok thanks I receieved the HPI rotostart 2 minus the wand with this truck if I buy the standard HPI want will it work with this backplate and the rotostart2

So here are my Servo choices please recommend which one should go where
Futaba S9402
Futaba S3003
Cirrus CS80
Hitec HS615MG
Hitech HS 525MG
JR NEH531
JR Z270
JR Z590M

Some how over the past few years I have misplace my JR RS310 receiver that I had as a spare so any recomendations towards transmitters and receivers would be nice I would like a transmitter that can do up to 10 models.

The Rotostart wand has a ball end with a pin through it, the Tiger Drive has a hexagon shaped end. I suppose you could cut a notch in the in the Tiger Drive access hole so the Rotostart wand will engage it. I can't make any guarantees though, never tried it myself.

This servo database should help you decide which servo to use where. Generally, I like to use the higher torque servos for steering, the faster servos for throttle/brake.
http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all

Ok I will just buy the tiger drive wand probably be easier. I have decided to go with the Cirrus CS80 for the steering and the Futaba S9402 for the throttle and brake, still got a ways to go I am waiting on some of the parts to come in for the throttle mod.

OK here is my update for the week yes at the rate I am going I will be old and retired before I am done with this truck. :) I have received the new Flysky radio and receivers they look nice just haven't tried to bind them yet, I have received the complete screw kit since several of my screws are bent including the shocks. I have the front half tore down and the diff soaking in simple green they diff was full of grease no oil at all. My plan is tomorrow to re-assemble the diff and fill it with 10,000 weight oil and reassemble the front end. I need to order a new roto start as the one that came with it will not spin at all and I have tried several different batteries.

I swear I am still working on it finally had a few minutes again today I have all my parts finally even the starter shafts I am doing my best to have it back together by next weekend we will see. Check out my kicking Mad Cow Mat I love this thing it's great when working in the house and the kids are running around.

photo5.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I like the aluminum bottles LOL between them and catching up on the Sons Of Anarchy I may one day complete this truck ;)