snow & cold ok?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberneck

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
new to rc game. just got redcat hurricane xtr broke in. will it hurt to run in 15 degree weather and or snow?

The colder it is the harder it is to start and get up to correct operating temps. You can pre-heat the head with a hair dryer, wrap the head in foil, and cover it with a sock.

There is so many discussions on this, use the search and you shall find out. Also, it's personal opinion on this, so be prepared for a debate.

That is what this forum is about: discussion and debate. Search can be an asset but please don't discourage new members from posting.

I personally prefer not to run when the temperature is under 60° F.

i live in Mn, so if i want to play with my maxx, i have to drive in cold temps. i run rich in the winter, and use foil around my cooling head. and i dont have any problems. that said i dont run when it 20 below!!! LOL! plus i keep all my stuff in the house, so when i do go outside to run, it's at room temp. the hairdryer method also works!

Not trying to discourage at all, sorry if it came out that way. What I was trying to do was to get him to read all the posts, see what he thinks so he can form his own opinion on it. Once again sorry if it came out that way, I feel bad now because I'm still a noob and when I was a real noob this site was alot of help.

Be sure to water proof your electronics..(Servos and RX) Snow=Water=Bad for Electronics and engine..And stay away from salted streets...Thats askin for rust! Good thing i live in southeast texas so it never snows here!Be sure to put afterrun oil/wd-40 in head when you're done runnin.

Just my noob suggestions...

FrostY

On top of wrapping the head and pre-heating you also have to richen the high speed needle quite a bit. Cold air is dense air, so you need more fuel to put with it.

wrap the head and go run it lol playing in the snow is so much fun i have a .15 stampede i have ran in many winters i wrap the head and run it a little rich with hot plugs.

This is my first winter with my GT2. I live in pgh., couldn't get started but I was leaning it out. I guess I need to go back to factory settings and richen the high end? Do you actually leave the foil on the head while you're running it or just to get it started? I'm such a newbie...lol

Foil & a sock while your running keeps the heat inside your motor letting it operate at temps correctly. Personally, is 20* weather i use a crapped sock from my 2yr old son without foil and have no problem running at 220-250*

I just hope you broke it in at the right temps or your destined to tune, tune and tune some more.

Good luck brotha

This is my first winter with my GT2. I live in pgh., couldn't get started but I was leaning it out. I guess I need to go back to factory settings and richen the high end? Do you actually leave the foil on the head while you're running it or just to get it started? I'm such a newbie...lol

yep leave it on while running !

Oh wow, thanks guys i appreciate the help, this site rules. I'm positive I broke it in at the right temp, I used a losi temp tuner and followed the directions to a "T". Ran all summer and fall great with very little tuning... first day it snows can't fire. Thanks again for the help!!!

does running temp really matter that much after break in? I ran in 20 degree weather n ran great no prob & i didnt cover head.

---------- Post added at 3:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:26 PM ----------

I am also running it rich.

Yes it does matter. The cylinder sleeve is tapered at the top, creating a tight spot for the piston. This is known as "pinch", and is the key to a good running engine. When an engine warms up the sleeve expands enough to loosen it up a little. If the piston and sleeve don't loosen up you shorten the life of the engine.

i noticed if you store it in the house its a lot easier to start!

I'm just at the run in stage of my picco 26 max But abit of tin foil around the head and a hair dryer does the trick of getting you started like on my Jato 3.3 , when i was running my mil in just run a craft knife around the head to uncover the top two fins and it adjusts the temp ..

After that on a cold day with the foil and running a lil rich on the HSN she runs just fine, cover the electrics and air in a can to blow off your Rc model after running and follow the after run procedure..

you will be just fine ;)

thanks for info guys. upon trial & error i found the sh .28 engine handles the cold very good. i don't run when temp below 20 degrees F & i can still run 220 - 235 without any head covers & still be a little on rich side. i tried the sock thing over head & that just made it heat up too hot very quickly. thinks again for input, very much appreciated.