Smitty's comeback with a 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, figured I'd start a new thread for my truck in the propper section :)

So I've missed nitro since I sold all my stuff last year, wish I never did. But a friend of mine was selling this on facebook for 25 dollars!!! I sold him a double headed "tobacco" pipe for it that I no longer have use for(quit).
https://goo.gl/photos/K5rYhsDL9Uho8PGd8
Sat for year, engine seized, very dirty, no rx/tx, no idea on servos.

Here she is a little cleaned up, she rolls good and isn't beaten too bad, just really dirty.
https://goo.gl/photos/miKqScLTPZZmHgiQ6

So I've sold a few unused items to get some money put together. My limit was 200, and no more. I can't go crazy like I did last time ending up with 6 plus cars and growing. Focusing on this one and going to enjoy. Things are a little different have my own place with my fiance and my son.
list of new parts:
Brand new 2.5 trx engine
new fuel bottle
gallon 20% nitro
2 new glow plugs
ez start station (push button that a 9.6 plugs into and is mountable on truck for push start)
New 9.6v battery and charger
Net tqi 3 channel bluetooth telemetry with 5 channel reciever.
I am pumped to order everything.
I'm ordering a new engine, but I did free the old one up, I'm not sure what to expect but I will be trying it. Either way I'll have a backup ready to go.

I plan to get the wife a little 1/16th turnigy nitro truggy there going for 90 shipped at hobbyking. It's perfect, cheap, small, rtr, and she will get to play with me :)

for a few bucks more you may as well drop a 3.3 in it , you could get one from a chop shop minus carb and rebuild the one you have and you would have a virtually new setup.

I was thinking about a 3.3 but atm I really don't have the 30 to 40 more for the 3.3 and I don't want to be replacing my drive train the first gallon I put through it lol

As for the rebuild, I have been thinking about that, but I have decided not to rebuild for a couple of reasons. First is the engine was locked solid when I got it so I'm afraid the internals are going to be caked with rust and I have no idea what the engines been through.
So I'm buying a new mill as a backup if she won't run. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have everything ordered :)

Slight change of plans, I instead of buying stuff to build my tmaxx up, I instead spent the money on a whole truck.
I've got a hot bodies lsp lightly used very clean that just needs a pull cord or a roto start and wand. And a battery.
so new shopping g list being ordered is
Truggy
2 glow plugs
atleast 2 quarts 20%
Pullstart/to to
Fuel bottle
2.4ghz flysky not sure witch one yet.
All I'll need is to buy a ez start control box and see if I need an engine, and a 2.4ghz set.

Main reason I went this way was so I could have some bonding time with my father. And I'll have two now

Good idea. Now Dad can bash with you. My nephew likes to run my car too. I just tell him if he breaks it he will pay for the parts to fix it. He does. I throw in a quart of nitro every other time. Works out good for me. He don't complain and neither do I. I find it is much better hobby if you can get other people involved. Once they smell the nitro and see how fast they go nowadays they are hooked. Good luck with them cars. BTW...What is up with that roll cage you had on that first TMaxx? I never seen that before. Is that custom or was it manufactured? I would like to get one of those.

My dad wanted to get into it the first time he was even trying to claim one of my 5 rigs back then haha. Well this time he's getting his own and we are going to enjoy the hobby together.
now that I've moved out of my parents (love dad hate mom) I try to see him as much as I can because we are close.

As for the tmaxx, no idea, that's what it came with, makes for a good handle and will deff stop some damage done.
It's not homemade, so I'm sure there's more out there :)

Tmaxx hasn't moved much, I decided I'm going to get a new engine, servos, and possibly tranny. (The not in it doesn't not engage the tires when spun, be level gears on inside are shot, will check eventually. Want to keep reverse as well)
I did however buy a hot bodies lightening stadium pro aka hpi trophy truggy, lightly used ran great but having alot of issues with the 27mhz setup. Gotta wait till Thursday till my gt3b comes in mail(will lipo it)
Was running lsp on bike track the other day when it rolled with body off air filter came off, was so bad on inside of engine the whole internals were caked brown.
so I got a dynamite. 21 sport for 65 off ebay, love it, going on 4th tank and it screams. Idles amazing amazing power, shoots through rpms instant.

Next check in a week and a half I'm ordering a losi 1/24th micro truggy, a flysky reciever in going to install along with a new front servo, 2 3 cell 2200mah lipo and charger and two medal gear high torque servos for my lsp

I learned alot with this engine, properly breaking it in and slowly tuning it to see the actual improvements, and actually getting the right temps, I used to hit 300 to 320 all day long, now I'm sitting around 220 to 245 and she's screaming with a nice trail of smoke, and the rpms drop to idle right away.
just can't wait to be able to go farther then 6.5 feet without worrying about my truck running away!

Smart move replacing the engine. Those old 1st gen. 2.5's really aren't worth rebuilding with so many engine options available.
Same with the 2018 servos if that's what you have, theyre junk. Better off replacing them.

Yea I can find a new engine Farley cheap nowadays might as well start fresh.and sadly yes still those dreaded servos, I actually had to put on on the throttle of my lsp and there's a 1 second hesitation atleast lol
I also plan to go brushless with the losi micro. Will be a good rig for the wife nice and easy to use and fun for at work at night on lunch

20150712_144141_zpshfeai3zj.jpg

A parent lyrics photo bucket wanted to show you guys my son lol
here are my trucks I'll post engine in sec

FB_IMG_1436750367768_zpsiuiacakq.jpg

Last edited:
So idk if everyone in here watched my other thread, but I'm in the process of adding the 3.3 slipper as mines shot, and the engine that was seized I brought back to life. Idk how but it runs, and idles really well. Can't tell much more on engine till tranny is fixed.
Also ordering servos for both rigs