Slipper Clutch...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbob

WWJD
Reaction score
Just unboxed and loaded a fully charged battery into my new mini e-revo. Have it set on min power. First thing i noticed is when just barely giving it some throttle, its making a clicking noise. I think the noise is coming from what i think is the slipper clutch, if so, is this normal or should i tighten it up a bit. Under heavier acceleration its seems to be okay. Here's a sampling of the sights & sounds...

skipper clutch don't make a clicking sound. Check the gear mess on motor.

as said above, confirm gear mesh, but to me it sounds like what is called "cogging", which more or less is not enough voltage is given to the motor to give the torque it needs to spin to get to the next "phase" of the brushless motor, so it "bounces" back.
pretty common to see with very small throttle inputs especially with higher KV (higher KV = lower torque with higher speed) motors, and with 2 pole motors.

skipper clutch don't make a clicking sound. Check the gear mess on motor.

as said above, confirm gear mesh, but to me it sounds like what is called "cogging", which more or less is not enough voltage is given to the motor to give the torque it needs to spin to get to the next "phase" of the brushless motor, so it "bounces" back.
pretty common to see with very small throttle inputs especially with higher KV (higher KV = lower torque with higher speed) motors, and with 2 pole motors.
Thanks, good to know...
My other concern was the drive shafts aren't engaging on very low throttle. After scratching my head for awhile i opened up the manual and read how the slipper clutch works and how to adjust it. For now going to leave it set how it came out of the box... Thanks again...

I cranked down on the slipper clutch and it still felt like trans was slipping. I took apart to check if any gears were damaged, all look good. The slipper clutch pad looks worn flush with the gear so no matter how tight you make the spring no force is being exerted between the plate and the pad. Till i order a new pad i've made a temporary backing for the pad. Put everything back together and feels a little better but i think something is still slipping. The gear mesh was good out of the box, now i'm trying to fine tune it to get it good again... :)
miniparts01rs.jpg

padsrs.jpg

Back