Slipper clutch maintenance/testing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey all. We have a Savage X 4.6, and have some questions on the slipper clutch. Forgive me if these are ignorant questions--I'm a buggy/truggy guy so used to a center diff...and the MT design as a whole is something I'm still feeling my way around.

1. Our Savage has about 2 gallons through it, and I've yet to service the slipper clutch. (I know, I know.) ;-) I'd originally planned on putting a center diff on it, but unsure if I can emulate the torque.

2. I understand the concept of it, but looking for ways to test it. Right now, if I move the truck forward while holding the spur gear...there is NO friction at all. Is this normal?

3. The truck drives fine....I have the engine tuned great and can easily ride a wheelie down the street. However, something tells me there should be at least some friction when holding the spur gear...unless once again I'm not testing it correctly.

4. Also there is play in the spur gear (probably 1-2mm lateral). Again, with a center diff, I'm use to NO play, so unsure if this play is normal.

Thanks again and duly appreciate best practices for testing the slipper clutch on a nitro.

I believe the spur doesn't move when you push the truck forward, due to the one way bearing in the transmission, although the spur should move with force when you push the truck in reverse. As for the above mentioned lateral play in the spur, try tightening up the slipper by tightening the nut that holds the spur to the driveshaft. If the last one doesn't help try a different spur, again if there is no difference maybe you could try a hardened steel spur

Okay. Thanks! This is good stuff.

What is a good test for it? If there is not one, I'm sure I can devise my own. This is pretty cool as I've yet to maintain one, and am intrigued with the design,

Just smoked a spur gear today. Just installed a new steel one. Not really liking the sound of it tho. 2piece spur gear. I spun the small set screws out of it too!

Just smoked a spur gear today. Just installed a new steel one. Not really liking the sound of it tho. 2piece spur gear. I spun the small set screws out of it too!

Was that your :Dintegy:D T6927 spur?

crank that spur gear nut all the way down. as far as steel spurs, you will need to put a hardened bell clutch gear on the motor to run that or you will destroy both lickety-split. theres really not mutch maintenence in the plastic spur/slipper clutch setup. pads whave lasted me a couple gallons so far on all my rigs and they still look good. as for setting the mesh of the bell and spur, they say to use a piece of paper when setting them, but i never had luck with that. i hold the spur and try to spin the bell. if there just a bit of play i consider the mesh good. there should be the slightest amount of play between them. and they should roll smoothly together with a small "ticking sound

Last edited:
Back