Slide carb wont close properly!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade88

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My slide carb on my Maxx wont close properlly when I apply brakes. I have tried to move the carb in all sorts of positions. I have even taken it off to clean it properly.
The carb is still new. Help:doh:

Does the carb close normally if you disconnect the throttle linkage? And of course, your idle stop screw has been checked I imagine. The carb has its own throttle return spring, you shouldn't have to depend on the throttle linkage spring that's over the servo horn to close your carb. Make sure the linkage isn't binding anywhere.

Mine did the same thing. It would bind at about 50% closed, but only when the servo linkage was connected. Operating without the linkage, it returned fine with it's own spring. I finally sent it back to Traxxas, and they replaced it (for free since I only had it two weeks). The new carb works flawlessly, and has a slightly different design. Not sure if they had a bad batch, or made the change for some other reason. I would have spent the money to buy a replacement anyway, it truly needed to be replaced.

Another thing to look at on ANY slide carb is the angle in which the linkage is pulling/pushing. If it is any bit off from straight on you run a chance of binding. A quick way to see what I am talking about is to just take your fingers and try to pull it open while applying side force at the same time. You can do the same when trying to close it. Make sure you remove the linkage ball cup from the carb before doing this. It will most likely bind. This is the #1 reason for checking to make sure the linkage is in a straight path with the barrel itself. Makes life MUCH easier.