Sleeve resizing, my first attempt...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeartBreak

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well, tonight I tried something that I thought would be easy - *NNNNNT* wrong! After practising on two blown-up engines' sleeves, I thought I had the 'feel' down... Boy was I wrong!

The engine I pinched is a CV .12 (the old red head one with the ABN sleeve). After I did a first snugging on it, the pinch felt almost perfect - so I decided that maybe I could do a little more, and get away with it... :shrug:

After the second go-round, the pinch was so much that the piston wouldn't even travel 1/3rd of the stroke without siezing!!

I spent two hours with an old worn out piston from the same type of engine pounding it up and down thru the sleeve to hone it out (with alot of afterrun oil as a lube)...

Luckily, and I repeat... LUCKILY, it started and ran thru a tank. But the temps were at 255F at idle! I think once I get a few more tanks thru it, it'll loosen alot.

The end result; a motor that is so tight that I need to hook my starter box up to a normal car battery for pure amperage to start it, and if I stop cranking prematurely, it'll leave it siezed near combustion.

My hat is definately off to the guys that do this as a service; it definately takes skill!

The guys that do this as a service don't guess, they have machines that do the work for them. You are lucky that you didn't fiddlesticks up your P/S!

wait...HeartBreak, did you do this resizing manually? Or with a machine?

sounds like he did it manually, with a "feel" and all...

I did it manually, with a resizing clamp bought off ebay. The next time I do a clamping (if at all), I'm going to stop at "gee, that's a start"...

Actually, I don't use pullstarts on anything but my T-Maxx... Bumpstarts are the only way to go :D

Back