Slash bl 2s wide monster truck short course body vs open wheel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoune

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I bought longer arms for my slash and will put badland 2.8 tires in the future. I need to trim the body and lift it a little.

I feel that the short course body offers a great protection when it rolls and crash. Do you see any differences in breaking parts between short course body and open wheel bodies ?

I'm scared of trimming to much or buying a open wheel body because of that. If it doesn't affect the way the rc break i would buy an open wheel body since its just easier.

I would definitely watch your temps because running bigger tires, the motor and esc is gonna get hot.
I recommend a thermo heat gun if you don't have one.

Reduce pinion size in teeth by at least 2 probably 3...heat gun is best check temps often,,dont run it for 5 minutes then check its way to late .its maybe 15 seconds check.

I need to trim the body and lift it a little.
Proline offers Exended body mounts for the slash, I use them on mine, I like them as they use a screw on cap and I can adjust the body when I go to my race setup, and then back to my bashing setup. As with what I know, the BL2s has the new clipless body so not sure of any extended body posts for clipless, might be something to ask traxxas. BUT it you trim the wheel wells enough, you shouldn't need extended body mounts.
I feel that the short course body offers a great protection when it rolls and crash. Do you see any differences in breaking parts between short course body and open wheel bodies ?
Yes. Short course body (like my slash) I seen less front end breakages, plus I do have a more beefy RPM front bumper so that also protects the front aswell. Compared to my Rustler which is open wheel, I see more front end breakages. Most common I found is when I upgraded to aluminum tie rods. But I quickly went back to stock steel to prevent that part from snapping all the time.
There aren't many open wheel bodies for the Slash. Or are there? Not 100% sure.
Non short course bodies. Like a MT, or stadium truck body. Or something like a bug/beetle body.

Regarding the bigger 2.8 tires. I get a temp gun from harbor freight. 20 bucks when I got mine last year. Good tool to check motor temps. I like to keep my motor under 170 degrees and my ESC under about 120 degrees. If it gets too hot or overheats, drop the pinion gear a few teeth and/or go up some teeth on the spur gear.

You gonna use Jato A-arms to widen it?
For OP,
Thread 'How to widen your 2WD Slash' https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-widen-your-2wd-slash.141769/

Also, make sure you set your gear mesh and slipper properly. I learned that the hardway.

I widened out my 2wd Traxxas by using RPM extra-wide front arms and stock Stampede length rear arms. I run them with 1/2" offset wheels front and rear. The rear camber link is stock Stampede, the front links are about a 1/2" longer than stock.

Proline offers Exended body mounts for the slash, I use them on mine, I like them as they use a screw on cap and I can adjust the body when I go to my race setup, and then back to my bashing setup. As with what I know, the BL2s has the new clipless body so not sure of any extended body posts for clipless, might be something to ask traxxas. BUT it you trim the wheel wells enough, you shouldn't need extended body mounts.

Yes. Short course body (like my slash) I seen less front end breakages, plus I do have a more beefy RPM front bumper so that also protects the front aswell. Compared to my Rustler which is open wheel, I see more front end breakages. Most common I found is when I upgraded to aluminum tie rods. But I quickly went back to stock steel to prevent that part from snapping all the time.

Non short course bodies. Like a MT, or stadium truck body. Or something like a bug/beetle body.

Regarding the bigger 2.8 tires. I get a temp gun from harbor freight. 20 bucks when I got mine last year. Good tool to check motor temps. I like to keep my motor under 170 degrees and my ESC under about 120 degrees. If it gets too hot or overheats, drop the pinion gear a few teeth and/or go up some teeth on the spur gear.

For OP,
Thread 'How to widen your 2WD Slash' https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-widen-your-2wd-slash.141769/

Also, make sure you set your gear mesh and slipper properly. I learned that the hardway.
Ill reply to you but it covers all the other reply.

I have rpm longer arms. Didnt installed it yet. Maybe a temp gun is a good idea. Not just for bigger tires but in general. Stock gearing is 21/83 and i run 21/90 for now. Already have a 14 pinion waiting but i feel i can get higher gearing with the 2wd. I think the stock on 4x4 is 16/90. I need to do some research. I started the hobby like a month ago lol

Proline has a pickup style body and summit link has cool stuff cheap. And the proline monster slash body should not work with longer arms. I want to keep protection so i need to trim just the amount i need. The corner of the wings help the strenght. I like the clipless system and want to find a way to raise it. But an adjustable kit is cheap and I'm ok with screws.

The rpm bumper cover more area ?

The rpm bumper cover more area ?
Not sure if it covers more area. Same shape as a regular or stock SCT bumper. Just seems a bit beefier and stronger than the stock one, imo.

When I tried to do like a monster slash build. I was still on the stock gearing and tiny old brushed motor. Burned that thing up fast. Lol. I was using duratrax lockups which are discontinued now. I think I got the wrong offset for the front which caused the tire to rub on the arm at full lock.

Would like to try a monster slash build again if I ever get another slash 2wd or 4x4. Just depends. Cause I use mine for mix uses and it's basically an all terrain car now. Depending which setup I have on it.

IMG_20240504_174826_168.jpg

Not sure if it covers more area. Same shape as a regular or stock SCT bumper. Just seems a bit beefier and stronger than the stock one, imo.

When I tried to do like a monster slash build. I was still on the stock gearing and tiny old brushed motor. Burned that thing up fast. Lol. I was using duratrax lockups which are discontinued now. I think I got the wrong offset for the front which caused the tire to rub on the arm at full lock.

Would like to try a monster slash build again if I ever get another slash 2wd or 4x4. Just depends. Cause I use mine for mix uses and it's basically an all terrain car now. Depending which setup I have on it.

View attachment 190606
I really like the bumper front and rear. Gives alot of protection. I'm happy i knew about gearing down and dont learn the hard way haha

I use it and want to use it for all terrains so i dont want a "true" monster truck.

I feel that i just want to cheat and make a 1/8 truck with my 1/10 slash haha

View attachment 190606
Sorry for the double post and I'm not sure if you have the answer.

I just put rpm extra wide infront of my slash. I'm scared to trim the body lol

I think the proline monster slash body would fit but not if i put the 2.8 wheels WITH wider arms..

Back