Slash 4x4 going BL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImBored

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What do you guys prefer for Slash 4x4?
I'm between VXL 3s Velineon 3500 (170€) or Hobbywing EzRun Combo MAX10 SCT 3660SL, 4000kv, 1/10, Waterproof (139€). I will run the car on 2s and 3s LiPo and probably 7s NIMH.
The car will get wet quite often (its the area I live in, think of the weather as UK...) I saw some people saying that the VXL 3s esc isn't as reliable as HW max10? Which one would be easier to program? If i'd go with VXL 3s system does it need a fan?

not a 3 cell on 4000kv.. if you can't buy from amazon why did u link the max 10 to amazon.?

id go with that 1 it will be a tad slower than 50mph on 4 cells but you will still have to watch heat build up in motor on 3 cells 2 should run way cooler when geared correctly

I'm only running it on 2s 3s and if possible on 7s nimh. Would using Velineon 3500 motor on max10 esc have any benefits?

The Velineon 3500 motor works terribly for my in my Slash 2wd, it gets hot on 2s and super hot on 3s, I can imagine it will be much worse in a Slash 4x4. Get a 3200kv 3660 motor, and make sure your esc is at least 100 amps such as the max10 sct or Arrma BLX100 off of Jennysrc.com.

The Max10 SCT with the 3660 size 3200kv motor: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...r-combo-3200kv-hwa38010200/p-quartzrq7mzxactz

The 4000kv cannot take more than 2s, and the 3200kv runs cooler.
id go with the 3300kv its a little more friendly to 3 cells . you will still have to limit run time to less than half of a 2 cell..
Amazon.com: Xiangtat Hobby Wing EZRUN Max10 60A ESC Combo with EZRUN G2 3652SL 3300KV Brushless Motor : Toys & Games
4000kv on 3 cell will be a cook fest ull burn motor up, no matter what you get gear correctly and have fun
The motor combo linked here has a 60 amp ESC and 3652 sized motor, which is different from OP's 120 amp ESC and 3660 sized motor.

The Max10 SCT with the 3660 size 3200kv motor: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...r-combo-3200kv-hwa38010200/p-quartzrq7mzxactz

The 4000kv cannot take more than 2s, and the 3200kv runs cooler.

The motor combo linked here has a 60 amp ESC and 3652 sized motor, which is different from OP's 120 amp ESC and 3660 sized motor.
So I can get a MAX 10 SCT and 3660 3200kv combo. How waterproof are they? Any gearing suggestions for 54T spur? Also, how do you program them, or do they work right out the box? The ESC comes with a fan, right? Does the motor also need a heatsink?

Last edited:
No RC car is really waterproof. None are truly waterproof and still have a risk of frying when wet. For a 54t spur, start with an 11t pinion and gear up if it doesn’t get super hot. The motor could probably use a heatsink and dual fans. Make sure you buy a program card.

So I can get a MAX 10 SCT and 3660 3200kv combo. How waterproof are they? Any gearing suggestions for 54T spur? Also, how do you program them, or do they work right out the box? The ESC comes with a fan, right? Does the motor also need a heatsink?
I have never run my RCs in water, but they can generally take a few splashes here and there. Submerging them for a couple of seconds probably won't hurt either, but any longer may risk damaging the ESC. I have seen people coat the seams of the ESC case with shoe goo, or elastic glue to seal it better and keep the water out, but I'm not sure how well that works. As for the gearing, start with the stock gearing.

To program them, it's in the instruction manual (press and hold a button a specific number of times, etc.). It also has the option of using an external program card, LCD program box, or a wifi programmer. I have only used the program card and the LCD box before. Both are nearly the same, the program card is cheaper, but is only specific to a particular type of ESC, the LCD box is more expensive, but can check battery voltage and is compatible with more types of ESCs.

And yes, the ESC comes with a fan (and probably a replacement fan as well), but the fans are not waterproof.

The motor doesn't need one if you have the right gearing, but it doesn't hurt to get a heatsink and fan for it.

I have never run my RCs in water, but they can generally take a few splashes here and there. Submerging them for a couple of seconds probably won't hurt either, but any longer may risk damaging the ESC. I have seen people coat the seams of the ESC case with shoe goo, or elastic glue to seal it better and keep the water out, but I'm not sure how well that works. As for the gearing, start with the stock gearing.

To program them, it's in the instruction manual (press and hold a button a specific number of times, etc.). It also has the option of using an external program card, LCD program box, or a wifi programmer. I have only used the program card and the LCD box before. Both are nearly the same, the program card is cheaper, but is only specific to a particular type of ESC, the LCD box is more expensive, but can check battery voltage and is compatible with more types of ESCs.

And yes, the ESC comes with a fan (and probably a replacement fan as well), but the fans are not waterproof.

The motor doesn't need one if you have the right gearing, but it doesn't hurt to get a heatsink and fan for it.
Stock is 9T pinion but it's on 3mm shaft and HW has 5mm shaft and I don't want to drill it
There's this program box that can check voltage as well https://www.claypitrc.eu/et/a/hobbywing-multifunction-lcd-program-box-for-serun-ezrun-and-platinum not sure if it would work with this ESC.

Stock is 9T pinion but it's on 3mm shaft and HW has 5mm shaft and I don't want to drill it
There's this program box that can check voltage as well https://www.claypitrc.eu/et/a/hobbywing-multifunction-lcd-program-box-for-serun-ezrun-and-platinum not sure if it would work with this ESC.
I see, try 13t, since the brushless Slash 4x4 comes with it. And yes, the program box you linked will work, it's the same model that I have. Just to clarify though, programming the ESC does not require any external programmer, but having the program box makes things a lot easier. Here's the manual that I was referring to:
https://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/EZRUNMAX10.pdf

I see, try 13t, since the brushless Slash 4x4 comes with it. And yes, the program box you linked will work, it's the same model that I have. Just to clarify though, programming the ESC does not require any external programmer, but having the program box makes things a lot easier. Here's the manual that I was referring to:
https://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/EZRUNMAX10.pdf
Alright I'll look for 13t then. I would get the programmer as it makes it a bit easier plus it can check battery voltage and voltage for each cell.

My experience with the combo, for what it's worth:

I use a HW 1080 LED program box. The setting numbers don't line up so I need the table, but still... easier than counting beeps.

I got my Slash used with the 4000KV 3660 Max10sct combo, but recently got a HW rebrand 3200KV motor instead. I run 3s only and felt 4000KV was a bit too much. Heat is manageable with a 12t or 13t pinion. No fan or heatsink on motor, dusty motors shroud over the chassis.

The combo motor will have a temp sensor, that's a nice feature to have, too bad the cutoff temps are a bit high.

I use a Castle Copperhead ESC and 3800 KV censored motor on 3s with 13 tooth pinion without issue and run a fan on the motor in the summer months. A 3200 KV motor would be perfect for a 4x4 slash though. The hobbywing combo is good too but get the 3200 KV motor with that. Get sensored too if you can because its much smoother at low speeds. I own both.

My Slash came with the standard Velinion motor/esc, I have all kind of problems with it and it could only run on certain batteries. Then the ESC finally died and I bought a HW max10 SCT and what a blast. It's a so much better esc, no battery problems any more, throttle is more responsive and it became notibly faster. Then the motor died and I bought a HW 3660SL, 4000kv motor, and the Slash has never been better. It is must faster, but also quicker acceleration than the old motor. On 3S it can make wheelie, even with a GoPro mounted on the hood!

The HW set is so much better then Velinion and even cheaper - thats an easy choise. The only thing to consider is the motor KV, maybe 4000KV is a little crazy - but I love it :D

Back