slash 4x4 brushless system

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is more for 2wd rigs. You'd be better off with a Mamba X system like this one...
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...-wp-esc-and-1410-3800kv-5mm-combo-010-0161-01

But I would probably be looking at a bit lower kv motor if it were me. But that will run in vehicles up to 6.5 lbs on 2s.

Note: That combo has a 5mm motor shaft, so you would need a 5mm pinion with the appropriate pitch/tooth count for your application, which I believe is 32p on the 4x4. So something from Robinson Racing like these...
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/extra-hard-13-tooth-blackened-steel-32p-pinion-5mm/RRP8613.html

You can get the 3800kv motor with a 1/8 shaft, but for a 4x4, I'd go with the bigger 5mm shaft version. Not that it much matters, but bigger is better.
😉

After doing some looking, the Slash 4x4 does come with 32p gears, and a 3500kv motor. It also comes stock with a 13t and 18t pinion. So with the 3800kv motor, I'd say 12t to 17t might be a good range to play around with for pinions.

But you'll want to keep an eye on the motor and ESC temps whenever you play with pinions, or put a new setup in your rig. As you go up in tooth count on your pinion, or lower tooth count on your spur, or even bigger diameter tires or raise the vehicle's weight with addons or upgrades, temps will climb on your motor and ESC. 160°F is the safe threshold to stay under. There's nothing as frustrating as burning up a brand new motor or ESC.

So make sure to get yourself an infrared temp gun as well. Or, general rule of thumb... if you can't put your finger on an electronic component and leave it there for a few seconds... she's too hot. But a temp gun is highly, highly recommended for this hobby, and you should check temps whenever you make any major changes to your RC.

Last edited: