SkyMaxx meets MilitaryMaxx...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMaxx

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In a counter to a recent thread about a bad meeting of RC enthusiasts, I'll post a story of my own. I am certain MilitaryMaxx will chime in with his portion of the story.

Scene setter. Small technical track. SkyMaxx has only run his MTs on the track and his buggy once during it break in. Today would be the second day for running the buggy on the track. Track conditions were great but dry and dusty. Weather was freaking awesome.

MilitaryMaxx has a nagging temp/tuning issue with his buggy. Today was a great day to resolve that.

We meet at noon or there abouts. MM is already there and warming up his buggy. I unload my car onto the tables (nice job on those MM BTW). Without any fear or trepidation, MM walks over and says, "hi, you Mike?" and then we were off. Two modelers with some rides that needed running.

We crank up the buggies and proceed to bash away. I say bash because that is pretty much how my driving was. MM was a little better controlled than I, but I had fun kicking up dust clouds, cartwheeling my buggy, and being a general nuisance to the other two buggies on the track (MM and another fellow).

I ran my Savage and MBX-5 in alternate tanks allowing each ride to rest between beatings. The dry, dusty and loose track played havoc with my driving. Too much power and too little solid traction with too much throttle equals all kinds of crazy steering from the front and the rear.

My Savage will be talked about in the Savage section because some of the mods/upgrades need commenting on. Needless to say it was fun to drive on this track.

The best part of the day had to be ... hmm there are a couple things that rank up there as the best part.

1. Only damage was a cracked antenna tube on the buggy.
2. Met another great hobbyist and had a blast.
3. Got to bash for nearly four hours with little to no interuption.
4. Did I mention the low damage and great fun?

Those are listed in no particular ranking, but the one that is left off is the chance encounter between a Savage and a Losi Mini-T (the cute whittle twuck).

MM has packed up most of his stuff in preps for going home. The other fellow with a buggy has departed. I have fresh tanks of fuel poured into the buggy and Savage. Not gonna waste them, so I continue to run. Next thing I see is this little electric truck in blue and yellow running around near one corner of the track.

A couple of guys show up with a newly purchased Mini-T. My first comment is, "Nice little truck." Next comment is from MM's son "Isn't that cute." The fun really starts up when I bring the Savage out onto the track. The Mini-T leaves the track. I tell the guys not to worry, I'll go run off the track away from them and they can play with their cute whittle twuck.

So off I go in all my nitro fury...I'm running around and bouncing off the back of berms for the track. Suddenly the whittle truck is right in front of my Savage. (evil grin). I told them I would stay away from their truck. I didn't say what would happen if their truck ended up under mine. And that is just what I did. I ran over the little sucker.

I could swear that my one tire had the same footprint as the entire mint-T. Anyway, I run the thing over and continue bashing. Nitro is so much fun.

After I run the little truck over, the guys are pretty much done. They put the whittle twuck away and watched as I finished up my Savage fuel and ran two more tanks through the buggy. I had a blast jumping the heck out of the buggy.

MM, you would have had fun the last few tanks. I ran up and down the final stretch jumping the tabletop in front of the stand. I stretched it out a couple of times to jump the table and double over the bank for the corners on either end of that stretch.

So, today was a good day. Sorry so long, but it had to be told.

Note, the guys with the mini-T were talking like they had just bought a lemon after seeing the nitros run. I told them everyone has to start in this hobby somewhere.

Last edited:
Officer, I cannot tell a lie. It happened just like he said. In all fairness to Sky, I think the Savage had the right of way.

Dude glad you had a good day. I could only wish mine were always as fruitful. I am thinking I am going to run the savage and the Nitro Mt tomorrow at my local track. I am hopeful anyways. Later

Kinda reminds me when I was running at tacoma r/c raceway for the first time.

My savage was faster than all the cars on the track, it handled pretty good, but I sucked at driving. Towards the end, I ran over a few car like they were nothing, on accident of course

you kinda feel bad when you run people's cars over...but at the same time, you're the bigger, driver, they should move outta YOUR way...lol

We kind of had the same but oppisite days, lol. Check out my Good Day" thread in general chaos, its goes from happy to pissed, lol.

Just got done reading it. Too bad on the flip and the damages. Did the Savage hit the tree after the jump? It sure looked like it was heading in that direction.

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
Just got done reading it. Too bad on the flip and the damages. Did the Savage hit the tree after the jump? It sure looked like it was heading in that direction.
He had just installed the dual disks day before, stoped on a dime. Speaking of breaks, would front flips be easier for buggies.

They might be, but you would need some speed and some room. Looks like you do not have either in the video you posted. Find a decent location with some run up to the ramp. Get the buggy up to speed, get some air under it, and then let her rip.

Problem with flipping buggies is rotational mass. They do not have the same gyroscopic affect that MTs do because of their smaller tires. Not enough to pull it around on low slow jumps. You might be able to pull a front flip off, because a locked brake buggy will gyro pretty well.

Originally posted by kwong2001
Kinda reminds me when I was running at tacoma r/c raceway for the first time.

My savage was faster than all the cars on the track, it handled pretty good, but I sucked at driving. Towards the end, I ran over a few car like they were nothing, on accident of course

you kinda feel bad when you run people's cars over...but at the same time, you're the bigger, driver, they should move outta YOUR way...lol

That's "King of the road" syndrome. I get that all the time with my Tahoe. Even nicer when I blow the airhorns, 135db @ 20 feet.:thankyou:

Originally posted by militarymaxx
Officer, I cannot tell a lie. It happened just like he said. In all fairness to Sky, I think the Savage had the right of way.
It's called the gross tonnage law. Glad you guys had a blast.

Back