simple exhaust question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelthegirth

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a revo 3.3 with the exhaust going out the back. I've seen some bad ass rides with the exhaust on the side. What is this for. Looks cool. Any performance .

No difference in performance. It all depends on the engine some have the exhaust on the side of the engine instead of the back or the engine may be mounted side ways instead of straight. I have seen people convert there revo to a side mount exhaust but you have to have a engine that the exhaust comes out the side and not the back or you will have to do some creative header work. IMO it's not worth the head ache of trying to change it just for the look but some people like challenges like that and it normally comes out pretty cool and definatly different.

i am pretty sure it is just the best placement for the disign and how the engine sits.

Side pipes are usually longer than rear pipes, giving the engine more room to breath, which equals more performance. There are some engines that you can't run with a rear pipe, other wise it will choke. Like you can't run a big block on a rear pipe for example, it will kill it, an makes it very difficulty to tune.

Offcourse side pipe makes a BIG difference in performance.

This is the pipe i mounted to my revo 3.3 it runs alot better and is easier to tune i just added high temp silicone to the inside of the gasket that meets up with the motor for a tight fit and then you do have to remove 3 or 4 heat sink ribs on the back side of crank case for it to fit tight then for the mount i just cut up a metal coat hanger and mount the front how you want it. I also use o.s. 6 glow plug with bryons race gen2 20% nitro and a bigger cooling head.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Ultra-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c21bf6439

I hope this helps ya out. :D

Like you can't run a big block on a rear pipe for example, it will kill it, an makes it very difficulty to tune.

This isn't exactly true. You can run a rear exhaust on the Big Block engines if they are the right one. THS makes some good ones and I run an older Trinity pipe on my Picco .26 Maxx.

I have a revo 3.3 with the exhaust going out the back. I've seen some bad ass rides with the exhaust on the side. What is this for. Looks cool. Any performance .

I dont think youll find any real performance added where the pipe is. Its all about the overall design of the pipe internally and size.. depending on the engine you need to have the right amount of back pressure. if you put a fat pipe on a smaller engine.. sometimes what will happen is the engine wont be able to produce enough pressure to even pump fuel through the lines and youll just have a bad running car.

I think just maybe an upgraded traxxas pipe is fine...

This isn't exactly true. You can run a rear exhaust on the Big Block engines if they are the right one. THS makes some good ones and I run an older Trinity pipe on my Picco .26 Maxx.

THS has the 146B, which is probably the only rear exhaust for BB currently available. But with the same rig, a side pipe would smoke it.

he asked if there is a performance difference

You need to get your facts straight there buddy. A side pipe is nice because you have one smooth bend vs 2 bends. It also allows the use of some larger pipes, but larger pipes don't really give the engine more breathing room as you say. It gives the engine more torque, with less top end rpm.

I've seen the THS system mounted to picco 26 revo before and it works nice, not to mention the good looks. Side pipes are ugly IMO :p:. You won't see me hacking up the side of a nice body.

I have a BB rear exhaust from rd logics on an old worn out sirio 27 and it'll pull away from the picco every time.

the one bend on the header makes its easier for the exhaust to find its way out. That and the larger size of the side pipe give more breathing room, which translates to more torque . If i am not mistaken, more torque is more power right? even if its on the low end, its still called more power. Just like in a real cars, you can get a few more extra horse power by installing a a bigger performance exhaust.

I also don't like the looks of them, i think they look ugly too. Having a big metal hot dog sticking the side of your torn out body, very getto!

Are you lubekcakes from the traxxas forum?

Pipe size and shape have an affect on tuning, but bigger doesn't exactly mean better. Stinger size has alot to do with it as well. A large pipe generally gives more torque and slightly lower rpm. A small pipe gives less torque and screaming high rpm....generally speaking.

You guys rock. Diggin up dirt on a respected member because you got schooled? Way to motivate folks to help ya.

I am sorry you are looking at it this way..

i didn't mean any disrespect

Last edited:
sorry bro didn't mean any offense. its just that this guy happened to be a buddy of mine on the tx forum, and he had just recently posted them, they where still fresh in my mind!
please accept my apologies. i also deleted the post.