should you really have to tune a nitro rc daily?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblockbilly

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Or is an engine requiring to be tuned daily a bag engine? I've owned a 2.5 rustler, one of the best motors ever, I think it was tuned once.. every time I brought it out through various weather conditions it always started right up, running good, snappy engine, I bought a revo 3.3, worst motor ever owned, it's very moody, it's a beast when tuned right but who wants to tune every time you play with it... I have a 5.9 savage xl and it can be moody too, but not as much as the 3.3, I also have a hpi trophy truggy 4.6 & it's similar to the 2.5 rustler, not requiring much running at all, always snappy and running good through various climates, I live in Atlanta so the weather has fluctuated from the teens to the 70's within the past 3 months...

Once it's been properly tuned the only adjustment needed is a slight tweaking on the HSN after it's warmed up. Temp and humidity have an effect on how they run, and the HSN will compensate.

i am no expert only been in r/c for about 3 years The 3.3 is a great engine for the money hands down but the carb is a carryover from the smaller 2.5 engine hence its too small and constantly needs tuning ,spend about 34 bucks and buy the carburator for the losi 3.4 engine and you will see a big difference in the engine as far as performance and ease of tuning. its a direct drop in no mod needed. I did this to 2 jatos i have and i never touch any needles , I live in florida north of palm beach and it does get cold on some days (50 or so then 75 in winter nothing like the cold states but with the stock carb i was catching hell but with this carb its night and day. That said every engine is different ,I had a losi 454 engine in by revo and i was the worst engine ever, i ended up putting back the LRP 28 in it which by the way is the same engine as the losi 454 (.28) made by the same manufacturer SH Engines now it runs no tuning on a daily basis Also use the recommended glow plug for the engine.

i am no expert only been in r/c for about 3 years The 3.3 is a great engine for the money hands down but the carb is a carryover from the smaller 2.5 engine hence its too small and constantly needs tuning ,spend about 34 bucks and buy the carburator for the losi 3.4 engine and you will see a big difference in the engine as far as performance and ease of tuning. its a direct drop in no mod needed. I did this to 2 jatos i have and i never touch any needles , I live in florida north of palm beach and it does get cold on some days (50 or so then 75 in winter nothing like the cold states but with the stock carb i was catching hell but with this carb its night and day. That said every engine is different ,I had a losi 454 engine in by revo and i was the worst engine ever, i ended up putting back the LRP 28 in it which by the way is the same engine as the losi 454 (.28) made by the same manufacturer SH Engines now it runs no tuning on a daily basis Also use the recommended glow plug for the engine.
Good info, might have to buy that carb and test it out, I hate 3.3's because of that but I have a 4tec 3.3 on the way & I wasn't gonna waste any time with it, wasn't even gonna crank it, I was just gonna put the os .21 direct drop-in in it. As for my revo I just ordered a jl .28 max, went through 1 tank of gas & ran into a guy on here with the "hard to find" new era bb mount for the revo, so now I'm taking that .28 off and going with a LRP zr.30x.. can't wait!!!!

my friend has a 4tec with the losi 3.4 carb and a ths pipe and its a beast ,the closest motor in price to the 3.3 thats a drop in is maybe the os18tz bumpstart or the os21 tm for about 270 bucks ,thing is they are expensive to rebuild WHEN that time comes with the 3.3 i could have the piston and sleeve repinched for 25 bucks or buy everything new from ebay for 60 bucks (piston,sleeve, connecting rod} my os 21tm has been sitting for over a year because all the internals are damaged and it would cost about 150 for the piston sleeve and rod , heck just the carb is 80 on ebay. Now with your revo new era is long gone ,Hate to plug another site but there was a guy selling copies he made himself of the new era block i think on the traxxas forum .As far as i know the only 2 bb mounts still available is the traxxas bb mount which has some limitations meaning you may have to shave a little off the A Arm for a rotorstart and the other is the ofna mount. there is a forum thetoyz.com that has a revo bigblock bible . it tells you everything you will want to know as far as what engine goes with what mount.

Your tune should not be varying wildly, at most you should only need to tweek your tune slightly as the weather changes.

If your tune needs major changes without a large swing in weather then you have an issue that needs sorting.

Your tune should not be varying wildly, at most you should only need to tweek your tune slightly as the weather changes.

If your tune needs major changes without a large swing in weather then you have an issue that needs sorting.
+1 to this, my 3.3 has been running strong since the day I bought it and only needs a very slight HSN adjustment depending on the weather.

the 3.3 can be a hit and miss engine some are great with no need to adjust but some are very painful ,as suggested before the 3.3 responds very well with a 3.4 carb , I have done this to 2 now . a jato and a maxx and both are very well tuned now and require now retuning what so ever , they idle better and seem to want to rev to the moon . just bear in mind the rods in the 3.3 are a weak point ,if you are going to rev it hard either switch out the rod to a davis one or just replace the rod at a gallon mark for safe measure.

Back