Should revo shift gear while holding in the air ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J4sona

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Having issues getting my traxxas revo to shift into second gear since being in storage for 6 years. Not able to get out and test it at the moment so wondering if it should shift gear while holding off the ground or will it only change under load while driving?

Cheers

Having issues getting my traxxas revo to shift into second gear since being in storage for 6 years. Not able to get out and test it at the moment so wondering if it should shift gear while holding off the ground or will it only change under load while driving?

Cheers

They will shift gears while held in the air. When in the air if you rev the engine you should feel it shift.

Lee

It isn't shifting. Any ideas? If engine is out of tune will it stop it shifting even if off ground with no load?

Bad advice to Rev an engine out with no load on it!....try adjusting the shift point but my guess is that the the shift clutch inside the tyranny is stuck,

I only held full throttle for second or two while the revs built up then let go.
Is there an easy way to check if this shift clutch is stuck?

Before you pull the tyranny out I would try and adjust the shift adjustment set screw, it may just free up by moving it a lil, also check your slipper clutch adjustment and even make sure your engine clutch is fully engaging

It seems to run up to full revs in first gear, would it do that if the skipper clutch was loose?

When I took it out last weekend and ran it full throttle down the Tarmac road it seemed full throttle in first gear but even after 100 - 200 metres it wouldn't change to second. I tried tuning. Check carb was opening fully, and turned shift adjuster by 180 degs and still no change

Did it have plenty of power in first gear?

It seemed pretty good. Wheel spinning constantly on loose ground. No wheelies but def a lot of dip on back and lift in front. Instant acceleration.
Maybe bit sluggish at times but not by much

Ya that shift clutch is stuck man, your gonna have to disassemble the trans, not as bad as it sounds, if it still has reverse get yourself the foc kit

Only thing different since it went in storage for 6 years when it shifted fine is that I fitted another carb since getting it out last month so had to tune again.

Either a slight rust issue in there or very dry dab of grease

How much would you turn the slipper clutch back from right?

Got gearbox in pieces but not sure which part I'm looking for to check if it's stuck :-(

The slipper should be about 1/4 turn from tight"snug"

The other piece is silver round aluminum with 2 screws, one of the screws adjusts and the other holds it onto the shaft

Have now removed gearbox, stripped apart completely, cleaned, check, greased and rebuilt. Shift arm may have been a little sticky but moved ok now so fingers crossed.

---------- Post added at 6:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:21 PM ----------

Slipper was prob a little looser then that but not a massive amount. If I put 2mm hex in shaft I could turn slipper by hand with out too much pressure.

Grease is an enemy in the trans, almost everything should be dry with the exception of a drop of oil here and there

Grease is an enemy in the trans, almost everything should be dry with the exception of a drop of oil here and there

Just a little bit on the shift arm which was a little sticky and a tiny bit under the one way bearing next to it. Everything else i just cleaned and reassembled.

Back