Should I Use the Stock Shocks or the HPI Aluminum Shocks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm getting a Savage 4.6 SS kit. I understand that it has the plastic shocks. Should I get the HPI (not the HB) aluminum shocks for it? Are they stronger than the stock shocks?

Thanks,
Southern

Most have run the stock shocks without any troubles. You could just run the stockers and if they fail, get the aluminum ones.

I'm running aftermarket shocks on mine so i dont have any problems withe the shock hitting the header, and therfore rubbing a hole in your sweet header pipe.

The stock shocks do the job very well and you could save the $$. I think they are more for show and you will probably not notice a difference in how the suspension works. If you want the aluminum ones and have the $$ to spend go for it.

i agree from what i read the stock shocks in this case are fine for function

but the threaded have the bling factor

Definitely stick w/ the stock, they will hold up to some extreme punishment. Spend the extra $$ on something else, such as a good servo.

Agreed, stick with stock and put the money elsewhere. I have been running the stockers on my SS for over a year and a half and not had a single problem with any of them.

rubbing the headr on mines though. replacing as soon as they get here.

Thanks for the replies. So, the shock wears a hole in the header??? Good grief. Is there a fix for that?

Thanks again,
Southern

Hotbodies engine mount moves the engine 2mm forward and will give you some room between the header and shock.

How does replacing the stock shocks with aluminim ones get rid of the header rubbing? The spring is what rubs the header.

sweetdiesel said:
Hotbodies engine mount moves the engine 2mm forward and will give you some room between the header and shock.

How does replacing the stock shocks with aluminim ones get rid of the header rubbing? The spring is what rubs the header.

Does the HPI upgrade engine mount do the same thing? Do you have to adjust other things in the chassis, such as the transmission, etc., when you use this other engine mount?

Thanks,
Southern

Well, before I had the hotbodies mount, my WASP 28 was not getting 100% gear mesh. After using the mount with the WASP I got close to 100% mesh between spur and CB. Now that I think of it, if the stock engine is getting 100% mesh with the stock engine mount, you may run into problems with using the hotbodies mount because the spur will hit the outer edge of the CB. I haven't run the stock engine in some time so can you confirm if the gear mesh is 100% with the stock engine/mount combo?

sweetdiesel said:

I'm gonna use nova towers w/ 4 progressive suspension 3.75"in. shocks w/ 40wt oil. i'll put the 4 shocks on the outside of the towers.

the engine mount on the k46 lines up perfectly with the spur

Quite a few gallons.. at least 5 on the stock 21 shocks.. not an issue yet, and I am HARSH on my ride.

Aftermarket shocks to me are a pain in the butt.. were with my maxx and mini giant. they take along time to get balanced for handling and jumping.. with the stockers no adjustment.. just jump, and run.