Should I supercharge my ofna Hyper .21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYRCDRIVER

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I found a supercharger for my ofna 1/8 scale buggy and was wondering if they are worth 180 bucks and if they are reliable thanks for any info you can give me

No, all it does it lean out the engine too much, it forces more air in than these engines are designed to take. They're not like on 1:1 cars where it's fine, your nitro engine won't last much longer if you do so, and for $180 just buy a new engine. I think it has something to do w/ the nitro engines beeing 2-stroke, and the 1:1 car engines beeing 4-stroke.

Hell yeah..........
Let us know how it works.
Or
You could use the search function on this forum and save some money.
Don't say I never gave you anything.

No way... If you do some searching, you would find info that renders the 2-stroke superchargers useless. They dont help the engine out enough to be worth more than $5... With $180 you could buy a Collari .30 and haul more ass than a supercharger could ever give you in the rc world.

I would.. Then Id put Nos on it. Then a K&N Air filter, or better yet, make it a air intake K&N. Then Id slap a bunch of APC stickers on it, and then push it off a cliff.. In otherwords, no. If ya feel like "ricing something out" buy a import.

No.

First off, its useless.

Second, you can get a new engine for that price.

If it just forces more air into the engine like someone said, it's just gonna lean the engine out which will raise temps and probably shorten the life span of your engine.

If you tune your engine well, you'll be fine, temp guns make tunning so much easier, maybe you should invest in one of those.

KYRCDRIVER said:
I found a supercharger for my ofna 1/8 scale buggy and was wondering if they are worth 180 bucks and if they are reliable thanks for any info you can give me
My question is, why do you want a supercharger? For speed? A new mill will do that for you and last longer.

Superchargers are only efficient for 4 stroke engines since there is a seperate stroke for intake and exhaust. IN a 2 stroke, intake and exhaust are don in the same stroke.

Your engine will make some power at a cost since you will always be in a lean condition. Also remember that a supercharger makes power at the cost of robbing some power via a static draw from the belt. That can cause some undue wear on the crank since it's attached on the flywheel assembly.

There are more negatives than positives with a supercharger. If all you want is more speed, change your gearing and/or get a new mill. You'll be a lot happier. I do believe there was a member here that had one (BigBoysToys). He got rid of it failry quickly. It never held a consistant tune. Only thing consistant was the problems he had.

4u2nv said:
I would.. Then Id put Nos on it. Then a K&N Air filter, or better yet, make it a air intake K&N. Then Id slap a bunch of APC stickers on it, and then push it off a cliff.. In otherwords, no. If ya feel like "ricing something out" buy a import.

Do that.... It would be funny. Video tape it though.

ya i wouldn't do it. but i know how ya feel, it would be fun around town or something talkin to friends and being able to say u have a supercharger strapped on ur little ol' car.