Should i convert to RPM wide maxx arms???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDMaXX

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've got the old RPM a-amrs (non wide maxx) but i really want the stability the new wide RPM arms have. I have $40 to waste and i want to waste it on my maxx :) . The thing is, my a-arms aren't broken yet and in still good condition, but i want to convert to wider arms. Should i????

For the added width, I'd say definitely. It is a good upgrade. You can always hang on to the old arms, just in case you happen to by some freak of nature break one. Then you can run the old a-arms while you wait for the replacement for the broken one. Granted it means a conversion back to the old a-arms on all corners, but it is better than not being able to run your truck should something break.

hey thanks for the reply, loks like i'm atkin a trip to the hobby shop soon. One question, do i have to replace the sliders, i know i have to replace the turnbuckles, but the axles to?

I havent owend the TRX .15 pro models but don't you need longer axels or will the telescoping axels on the 1st model extend far enough to accept the new arms? Just trying to think of hidden added cost but I'not sure

The stock sliders will "work", but they might not have the same rigidity.

You can ask your LHS if the new T-Maxx sliders are longer than the old T-Maxx sliders. If the answer is yes, then drop the extra five bucks for the new version sliders...or better yet, save up for a nice set of CVDs and dump the sliders all together.

The new sliders are longer than the old ones. They have the same part # but end with an X. You will need to get new yokes as well again the same part# ending with an X.

You will find they are stronger than the original maxx sliders but not as strong as the MIP.

If your on a budget you can't go wrong.

I did a fair amount of shopping around for CVD's before I purchased. MIP's part number 1525 is for the wide Maxx. RCSource.net has them for $49.99/pair.

Make sure you get the steering knuckle pivot balls into the arms right. Too deep and the CVD's bind. Too little and they'll fall out.

I think i've decided to stay with the original length RPM a-arms. I already have some stablemaxx monsterclaws so i should be good.

Got another question, This goes to anyone wo has the RPM wide a-arms. If you mounted the shock on the last hole (outside hole) on the bottom arm, do the a-amrs sit level to the ground???

Yes they do.

I have mine setup using the center hole for ground clearance. It still dosen't roll at that height, so I'd say they were a good investment. You can use any shock towers you like.

Thanks Darth, i've got $60 saved for the RPM arms. The extra money is for the traxxas Ti turnbuckles. Hopefully the $60 is anough for both the RPM arms and the turnbuckles.

Oh BTW, I'm using 5.5lb spings and 50wt all around. I like it.

yeah well, i still need some Big bores :) . When i do get the big bores i'm planning on using the RPM dual rate pistons and maybe 4 Blue trinity springs on all 4 corners with 4 stcokers. STill waiting for money though :) .

Man, I don't know the best bang for the buck right now I think is the UE/Ofna supershock kit with a full set of dual rate springs.

the Super shock is not a standard 9.5 buggy shock. Its bigger all the way around. Its built for a Supermaxx but, you get the tunability of a buggy shock.....in other words it reacts better to shock oil than the junky traxxas stuff.

$69.00 for a 4 pack with 4 pair of different weight progressive springs.

or

$135.00 for an 8 pack

I only run 4 on my .26 big block converted with UE suspension t-maxx. And they handle the weight very well.

Before getting the super shocks I did try the lighter ofna 9.5 buggy shocks that you can buy all day long on ebay....and they kept breaking....These Supershocks are easily the best performing shocks I've seen. And thats against the big boars, and the AE shocks.

I use 80wt oil and the XXXheavy trinity monster springs and I don't bottom out.....even after 10 feet of air! 5 foot face jump and 5 feet of air off the lip to a flat bottom with a 10+lb truck!

$69 is in my price range, but i'd really prefer all 8 shocks. But shocks still have to wait, i still need some money. anyways i'm planning on heading down to the hobby shop tomorrow to pick up my new RPM wide a-arms and traxxas titanium turn buckles. Hopefully i can get my truck together and get it up and running real soon....... (she's still in peices :nono: )

The rpm wide arms are difinately the choice, bigbore shocks work just fine with blue trinity sprngs. I set my shocks to the lowest settings for stability. I'm running the sirio tx-18 with 30% and all works well. Good luck

Originally posted by StrechM
The rpm wide arms are difinately the choice, bigbore shocks work just fine with blue trinity sprngs. I set my shocks to the lowest settings for stability. I'm running the sirio tx-18 with 30% and all works well. Good luck

You should post some pictures of that bad dog in your gallery!

OK Humboldt.....as soon as I get a chance to take some pics I'll do........
Here's what it'll be of....
Was a 2.5 maxx
Tx-18
rpm arms
mip shinny's
mip blk centers
powerline bulks
rpm shock towers
rrp double slipper
rrp disk brake
rpm skids
maxx mulchers
big bores
trinity blue springs
rpm bumpers
white crowd pleazer body in red white & blue flags
there's more.......spent about $1100 last month on the rebuild, next is the chassis, I have it but it's still laying on the work bench. What I'd really like to do is build another one, maybe with a picco, rossi or rb concepts bb with high hp? Got any ideas? I've got more extra parts than I know what to do with.

Sorry SDMaXX for using up your space

Last edited:
Stretch No problem. Your posts is keeping my thread alive :thumbsup: . I'd also like to see some pictures of you maxx. It can give me some ideas of what to do with mine!!

OK.........I'll dust off the digicam.

Back