shocks & springs questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptNitro

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi guys, have a couple of questions. I have a savage flux hp and find that when it lands from jumps, it bottoms out sometimes really bad. it has stock shocks with the black springs. Question is: would it be better to run 2 sets of springs on each wheel or run a single set of big bore shocks per wheel? Question 2: I know hpi has different shock springs in different colors, does anyone know in order of stiffness eack color stands for? As always thanks for any info.

The easiest thing to do would be heavier shock oil. As far as 1or 2 shocks, I prefer the 2 shock set up. Like what comes on the Xl. They don't bottom as easy imo. As far as springs; I think the red ones are the firm ones, but I'm not sure.

Billy is correct. I'd recommend focusing on dampening, (heavier oil and/or different pistons). Springs are used mainly for traction and jumps...and of course ride height. I'm not well-versed with Savages (I have a 4.6) but don't think has ever bottomed out--and I keep my ride height fairly low with it---so definitely would take a look at the dampening.

then what would you recommend for a shock weight oil? And does it make a difference if these are stock shocks when adding heavier oil?

No it doesn't matter that they are stock shocks. Stock oil is 30, I believe. I've been running 40 here lately, I like it. I think you'll be happy in the 40 to 50 range.

Thanks BillyC74 I will give that a try.