shocks oils and rebuilds??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckid91

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
first off how full are my shocks supposed to be with oil??
second of all how can i tell if they need rebuilt or not??
and last but not least what wieght oil do you recomend for bashing??
looking for good on road and offroad mostly offroad

Umm help please?!

Shocks should be full enough to not have any air in them.

They'll need a rebuild when they start leaking oil from the rod end (not the cap end) which is a sign of gasket failure.

Depending on what vehicles you have, you'll want higher or lower weights. I run 45 in the rear and 40 in the front on my Maxx... Tell us what vehicle it's going in and we'll give advice.

Softer oil is better for offroad, hard is better for onroad.

or if they are sticking time for a rebuild. Or if they are stock I would get some stronger big bores. But thats ne and why I am broke cause I upgrade all the time. I use 50 all around in my mip BB

Last edited:
Should be a maxx since its in the TMAXX forum.

Last edited:
yeah sorry guys it is a tmaxx and the shocks are only 1/2 full of the stock oil

If it's a used truck, chances are the shocks may need a rebuild. Half full is going to provide virtually no damping power, which is the entire point of shocks. Add oil to the top and then compress the shock to see if it leaks. If so it's time for a rebuild.

Thank you, how hard is a rebuild going to be?

how hard is the rebuild

how hard is the rebuild

The rebuild is easy i am new to this but have already rebuilt my shocks 4 times due to filling them with 80 oil. This was perfect for on road but i just blew my shocks to bits the first time i got my maxx a foot off the ground. I am now in the process of getting the alloy ultra shock's after replacing the stock ones so many times.

Lol dude you shouldn't be running any MT with 80 weight oil in the shocks. You get no offroad performance that way. Plus like you said you're likely to blow a cap when it goes off a jump.

so like 50 or what for good offroad but also not so much body roll onroad

By body roll, you mean when the chassis sways to one side on turns? If that's the case you might be able to find an anti-roll bar for the suspension arms. I think that among all the products for the maxx you'll find one somewhere. It's a bar that prevents one side of the suspension from going much higher than the other, preventing that rolling sensation during turns. It will allow for lighter oil which is what you want on offroad.

ok thank you very much youve all been very helpful now one last question how do i rebuld them?

The rebuild kits should come with instructions.

ok thanx so what oil do you recomend if i get sway bars?

30-50 weight depending on where you drive it most. 30 (softer) for dirt and 50 (harder) for road.