Shock rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Childresshunt

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The shocks on my maxx are about ready for a rebuild was wonderin what weight is usually stock in the maxx I'm wanting to go a lil stiffer with em so i dont have to compress my springs as much what do you guys thing would be a good weight to try this will be my first time changing my shock oil so no experience with oil wieghts and how the shocks respond to the weight

The weight of the oil has no effect on how the truck will sit. The springs themselves do all the work in holding the truck off the ground. All the oil does is control how fast the suspension can work. It makes you believe that the oil holds the truck up but no matter how thick the shock oil the truck will still bottom out under the same pressure that was required to bottom it out before. If I were you I would go ahead and get some different springs to go along with the oil change. RCRaven makes a great set of progressive springs that run about 10-15 bucks shipped on eBay. As far as the oil goes the stock weight is something around 30 weight, but the stock shocks will work with anything from 25-45 or so. Some people run outside that range, but with a thicker oil the shock caps will start blowing off on harder landings. I am personally running the RCRaven springs and AE 35 weight oil all around with no preload spacers.

I no it has nothing do do with how the truck sits but it has everything to do with how the shocks compress. I was already planning on getting some springs just wasn't sure where to get a good set I'm not running stock shocks btw mine are aluminum body

If your running an 8 shock set up i would stick with 30-35wt oil. If you have a 4 shock set up you can go on up to a 50wt oil. Thats what i run in my 4 UE shocks. Handles great!

Yea i got the 8 shock setup goin on right now. I'm prob gonna go with the 35 wt and see how that does

I ended up with 35wt in my buddys maxx also, with the big bore shock setup. Although 40wt wasn't terrible either just a little to slow of a rebound for the track we run. I have tried everything from 30-60wt. Oh and if u never have done any shocks b4 make sure u work them up and down good with the cap off to get the air out of them..

yea I watched a video on youtube a while back how to do it but I'm gonna watch another just to refresh my memory

Back