shock oil?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneser4u

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I got my savage ss wednesday and have assembled it up to the shocks and noticed the shock oil they provide is alittle on the thin side?I have some AE 50 weight silicone shock oil for my RS43 ss? Would this work well in my savage ss as well or would it be to thick?I've never tinkered with shock oil in monster truck shocks.

First, I do not have a Savage. With that out of the way, I believe I have seen posts about the stock shocks buckling and bending shafts. if this is the case thicker oil would increase the likelihood of that happening. If you are prepared to get new shocks or parts of this happens, use the 50 wt and see if you like it.

The factory usually has enough experience and feedback to include the best all around oil in the kit.

I sure said a lot of nothing in this post didn't I.

what wt comes with the ss. I use 25 wt in my savage.

it says its 10 weight,sounds way to thin to me!

sounds thin to me also but ed might be right. try it first it might work fine if you don't like it try 20 or 25 so on till you find what suits your needs.

ok thanks guys I'm getting back to work on it!

The stock oil in the Savage shocks is indeed 10 weight. The stock shocks are also pretty darn weak. I would not go much above 35 weight oil/silicone in the stock shocks.

I upgraded to a set of Hot Bodies all aluminum shocks and ran 60 weight silicone and got good results, but was still not happy with the springs (weak, weak, weak). I ended up dumping all Savage shocks, buying the New Era Models upper A-arms that allow the Savage to take T-Maxx sized shocks. I now run with a single Mugen Seiki MBX-2 rear big bore shock on each corner with a Kyosho white spring. This Savage now handles everything I can throw at it, and the shocks are fine. I am running 30 weight in the front and 35 weight in the rear.

This gives you another option to explore.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

I run 35W in the front and 45W in the rear and use the Works for Competition 6# springs with a very thin front spacer and one standard Savage rear spacer. This setup works well for and last weekend I even ran the Savage around a dirt oval and it handled well at speeds comparable to the 1/10 stadium trucks if not faster with and rollovers. The left front tire stayed planted enough that you could see the tire rolloing over in at the wheel bead to the point it looked like it was going to tear the tire off the wheel.

ok,I finally finished assembly,and at first glance this thing has a ton of positve camber? the adjustable upper arms are adjusted all the way in? whats up with the positive camber?Are savages supose to have a noticable amount of positive camber?looks like it will heinder cornering?

no my savage has 0 camber by site don't have a gage but at first glance it no.

nevermind,frusterated me just thought I had skrewed the upperarm all the way down,thaught just cause I was out of threads that was the end!?I skrewd another 5/6 turns after I was out of threads!!!:beer:

Back