Shock Oil (silicone)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentHunterKellen

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
For a stadium truck w/o big bore shocks..(nitro Rustler stock) what weight oil should i use? 30? 40? 50? 60? I have 80wt but I think thats an overkill. Thanks!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Way to many variables to give a correct answer.
Generic answer is 30wt. and go up from there.

I have never used over 50wt in an off road setup of a stadium truck.

I have used 20-30 wt in my GT. Seems the general idea is to keep ST shocks soft so the truck glides over the bumps better on the track. If you stiffen up, you lose traction and you'll lose all sorts of control on the rough stuff. I know we are used to packing our Maxxes with 50wt, but remeber it's a much heavier truck. Soft suspension is the ticket on an ST.

Is there any chance that the manufacturer made a mistake with the oil. My back suspension doesn't even come back up! the springs are fine but the dampening is to heavy. Is 20wt to light? Wont i bottom out to much? I was also wondering what Mayhem uses in his big bore shocks on his Rusty.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I would suspect that if your rear shocks aren't rebounding that the oil is too heavy for the springs. It seems odd that it would come that way. I would try lighter oil. Now as far as bottoming out goes. Well it depends what you are doing. Light oil/springs is a good racing setup. But if you're looking for big air and bashing, you may want to firm it up to keep it from bottoming. Just remember that making the suspension stiffer will loosen the truck up a lot so it won't handle the same.

Hmm. Ill check that out but...as i said...Isnt 20wt a little too watery? O well.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Okay back from the garage. I added in some 30wt oil. When i took out the stock oil and placed it in a pan, i put the 30wt also in the pan. The stock oil sunk and the 30wt floated. I'm convinced the Rustler comes with 40 or 50wt. oil in the rear and front. The 30wt. is perfect i almost get FULL suspension travel back when i drop it from about 2-3 feet. Now i just gotta wait for the rain to clear out and i can test my BABY..hehe! I'm still waiting for the rain to stop...:w00t:
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I use 40wt, but it's just for bashing around.