shock oil help...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaVaGeR21

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have the stock shocks with 40% stiffer springs(gotthem off of tower). i think I'm pretty much out of oil. i dont knowmuch about the oil and the shocks and all the stuff so i kinda need help. i tried to use the search but couldnt really find anything. so my question is, what do wt oil do you guys think i should use? i usually jus ride around on the street and do a few jumps. and how would i go about puittin the oil in the shocks? thanks.
savager

Here is a nice article to check out. Page two talks about the oil weights.

http://www.rcnitro.com/articles/tune_sus.asp

With the stock savage shocks, I would stick between 20-40 wt oil. I run the stock shocks w/ some upgraded triple-rate springs and trinity 40wt oil.

This set-up works great for me, bashing and some mild racing. They have taken about 10ft drops and handled like a champ.

I run 40 wt oil too.

Basically what you do is when the piston is at the bottom of the shock body fill up the body with oil. Slowly work the piston up and down to work out all the bubbles. Then push the piston all the way up and srew on the shock cap. Make sure it feels smooth. Put on the springs and your done.

I use that Trinity oil in my Savage. I'm running 35 wt rear, 30 wt front. Shock oil is cheap, might as well get a few other weights and experiment until you get the truck handling the way that you like it. I'm using the stiff purple springs right now, but I'm getting some medium springs in the future.

Yeah, I like the Trinity Oil too. Give the 40 wt a try and then drop down to a lighter weight if you need to.

Back