servo problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinch

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
would stripped gears in the throttle servo cause my maxx to run away? i was driving it the other day at about 1/4 throttle when it just took off at full rip. my batteries were fresh in the radio and reciever. it seems as though the throttle side moves to far forward and locks into that position. i took the servo apart and the flat gear that sits on the bottom is missing a tooth. if the servo is fried should i rebuild it or just get a new one? any suggestions on a replacement?

I would just purchase the rebuild kit for now. They are cheap. And yes, that would cause some serious problems including what you just went through. The center pod is prob fried too!

The only servo that I think is almost 100% necessity to replace is the steering servo. I like the HiTec 5645MG Digital. For about 60 bucks you can't go wrong. I think a couple others here run them too.

Rebuilding them is not hard, just pay close attention to the directions and how everything came apart.

Good Luck!

Grinch, you might want to consider this. If you are still using the stock steering servo, which imo is not really strong enough, replace it with a HiTec 645 mg for about $40, then move the stock steering servo to the throttle brake position. Thats what I did, now my steering is greatly improved and my throttle response is better than it was with the stock throttle servo. Just an idea.

cool. thanx guys. i was anxious to find out why mr. maxx decided to go to full throttle whenever it wanted to.

Another thing I would buy is a fail safe, or at the very least a throttle return spring, these can save you a ton of grief and aggravation by helping prevent a runaway.

You might have a little water in your servo. I have had this happen several times and still refuse to put baloons on my servos.

i don't think it is a moisture problem. i try to avoid water. would a failsafe work in this case? my batteries were fully charged. i think the servo was going to full throttle then sticking in that position. i think it must have fixed itself befor any damage was done though. when i caught up to it, it was just sitting there idling.... next to a tree the first time and a fence the second. at the speed the maxx was going i thought for sure the whole front end would be destroyed. guess i was lucky. i may take ncnitro's advice and move the steering servo to the throttle position and get a new steering servo.

Grinch, if the gear was actually stuck then I don't think either of those would have helped, but I still highly recommend them. I have been very happy with my steering and throttle response since I had done mine. But since we all agree the stock steering servo is weak you can kill two birds with one stone.

El Pirata, I don't want to baloon my servos either, I have been thinking of trying liquid electrical tape, Home Depot has it in a few different colors. I need to do something before winter, I can't wait to get some snow, we don't get alot here but we do get a few good snows a year here in NC. I want to throw some snow rooster tails around :cheerful:

Just out of curiosity - why would you not balloon your servos for swampy conditions?

*In the case of a stripped gear fumbling in a throttle servo, your best bet would have been a return spring.

snow you say. man, we get tons of snow. i can't wait to try my maxx in the snow. 2 winters ago we got almost 6 meters!(not all at once,mind you.) before the snow comes, say from now til mid november the weather gets really cool. my maxx loves the cool clean air. how would i go about balloning my servos anyway?

*In the case of a stripped gear fumbling in a throttle servo, your best bet would have been a return spring. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think that you might be right here C. I wounl think that a spring might be able to pull the servo back to where a tooth COULD catch. I'm sure you'll agree that he still needs to get a new servo or at least needs to rebuild his. I like NC's idea, although I took another approach. I have a Hitech 645 on the steering and a Hitech 625 on the throttle. Honsetly, I wouldn't bother rebuilding the stocker. Isn't that what Maxx'ing is all about? Break something, upgrade it!!

The only problem with a throttle return spring is that the operator must give it an assist. The throttle return spring works great when the receiver or transmitter go dead. As long as the receiver is alive and or receiving signals from the transmitter, the throttle return spring simply applies resistance. The operator must save the day by remembering to turn his radio off. That kills the signal to the receiver, and the throttle return spring overpowers the servo and does its job (returns the throttle to idle).

Bottom line...if you use a throttle return spring and intend to use it... turn the radio off.

I was commenting on the failsafe. I meant to say that would have not helped him in this case if in fact it was the stripped gears. No gears to push back with ;) The spring would have at least helped and as far as 'driver assist' goes, I would hope he was hittin the brake. I had a throttle center pod go one time and neither the spring nor the failsafe helped me at all. But you should have seen the inside of the servo!!! What a mess!

I simply rebuilt it and its been fine since.

I agree however with upgrading whenver money allows. I'm an avid HiTec fan. Futaba also makes some nice servos as well. Airtronics are rather pricey but the people I know who run them like them. Unfortunately, they ALL will burn up somehow, someday :(

Have Fun! Drive Hard! And Fix it!

thanks folks. greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
The only problem with a throttle return spring is that the operator must give it an assist. The throttle return spring works great when the receiver or transmitter go dead. As long as the receiver is alive and or receiving signals from the transmitter, the throttle return spring simply applies resistance. The operator must save the day by remembering to turn his radio off. That kills the signal to the receiver, and the throttle return spring overpowers the servo and does its job (returns the throttle to idle).

Bottom line...if you use a throttle return spring and intend to use it... turn the radio off.
Cool beans. Glad you pointed that out because I probably would have never thought about that one!

Back