Servo,charger and general advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORDSVTTHUNDER

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My savage x 4.6 is on it's way. I've read the charger that comes with the rotostart 2 for the batt pack takes 8-15 hours to charge. Do they make a rapid charger for this battery? Also I'm reading it would be better to upgrade the steering servo. What is a good one that will fit right up to existing factory truck without any mods needed. And does anyone have any recommendations for a good tuned pipe? Thanks

I would purchase a charger that has an lcd display that discharges as well. If you purchase a charger without the screen, you won't know if your pack is fully charged. I use a venom charger that can charge lipo, nicd, dry cells and nimh. Of course I can charge every battery in my fleet but it did come at a price.

I use the Onyx 235 and like it, it's really simple to set up. It also has 10 battery profiles allowing you to easily change settings if you get more batteries.

I've got a charger like that but its the plus model not that one. It has all of your hook ups for various batteries and that one should too. Usually if a stick pack has a mah rating of say 3000, I would charge it at 2.7 amps and it would take maybe 70 minutes or so. Just do your homework before charging and discharging and your packs will last longer. The slower the charge the easier it is on your battery cells which makes the pack last longer.

This is the battery I'm looking to charge. If the above charger(s) will work please let me know. 7.2V 2000mAh battery pack

The onyx that I linked to will charge that one just fine, it will also allow you to charge other types of batteries if you ever get some. If you ever decide to get an electric rig or convert to high voltage servos and a lipo rx battery, the charger will allow you to charge lipos. It also has a port on the front that allows you to plug the rx battery into it or they have tons of adapters that will allow you to charge just about anything, this adapter has just about any plug type you may come across.

Thanks a ton. I just need people to say get this. It will work with that battery. Or get this servo because it bolts right in without any mods. That sort of stuff. I'm not looking to spend top dollar. I'm just wanting to make sure I've got good reliable upgrades that will help me from the start. Getting a good quick charger and good servo will help me out.

Last edited:
I bought a Turnigy Accucell 6 that works like a champ. It was only 30 from HobbyKing.

Will it charge roto battery and a hump pack also? I mean does it have the plugs for both types?

The Onyx 100 is a great starter charger, it'll get you up and running, and it's only $30. If you look at the picture you'll notice the port for the rx battery, you won't need an adapter. You can aslo hook it up to your vehicle's battery instead of an outlet while out bashing.

Hey i just got a hitec hs-645mg ultra torque servo from a buddy and it doesn't do anything when i plug it in to my savage 21... Why is that anybody know cause my stock servo looks like i got rice in it rite now....

I bought a Turnigy Accucell 6 that works like a champ. It was only 30 from HobbyKing.

Will it charge roto battery and a hump pack also? I mean does it have the plugs for both types?

The Onyx 100 is a great starter charger, it'll get you up and running, and it's only $30. If you look at the picture you'll notice the port for the rx battery, you won't need an adapter. You can aslo hook it up to your vehicle's battery instead of an outlet while out bashing.

So these will charge the hump packs AND the rotostart 2 battery(stick?)?

Okay, I have had about 4 or 5 Savox servos, ALL of them have exceeded my expectations in EVERY way!

The Savox 1258TG is a very strong servo @ the same time, VERY VERY quick response to steering. can't go wrong with a titanium geared servo.

You can buy the squid from racers edge and charge a lot of different batteries. Keep in mind that the Accucell doesn't come with a power supply. I use an old power supply I had lying around. Other than that it's pretty darn good.

Back