Scaler Ideas...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbage

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well times truly are a-changin'

I have decided my Wheely King is never gonna cut it as a basher at the speeds and stresses I want to play at. So now what d I do with it?

It occurs to me I have a brand-new WK transmission, a pair of Axles, lockers (that need re-installing) and HD gears for both. I could build another crawler, but I don't need 2, I'm not Charlie ;)

I am thinking about using WK parts to build a scaler. I have not got much idea what to use as far as a chassis and shocks & springs goes. I'd prefer to run realistic looking shocks, but I don't want to run leaf springs (I'm a Land Rover guy, we gave up using leafs 25 years ago :p). Any ideas?

One of my main goals is to do it without spending a huge amount of money. I don't mind buying good parts as long as they are reasonably priced, but I won't be in the market for, say, a RC4WD scaler kit.

Also I will likely not want o get fouled up in doing an interior etc. I know the details part of the fun, but that kind of detail is beyond me and my ability, seriously.

Last edited:
First thing the axles are toooooo wide, I would narrow them. I would get a TCS X Trail scale chassis and 4 link it F&R. Then I would do a clock job on the tranny so the motor and trans comb wouldn't be sooooo tall. Then I would get some NcNitro Shocks :hehe:. For tires I would get the Proline Flat Irons on Wk Stock wheel that have been narrowed. I love the stock Wk wheels but I would shave 5 of the 10 lug nuts off the plastic wheel for a greeeaaaat wagon wheel look.

So are the axles too wide for 1/10th scalers?

I guess they would be as they are 1/12 scale monster truck axles ;)

How would I go about narrowing them? I assume at some point it's gonna involve taking a saw to them... that's kinda nerve wracking ;)

Wow that's like "Holy Axle Narrowing Mods Batman" :D

How do you go about mounting suspension to an axle that narrow?

EDIT: Oh, right, yeah reading the whole article helps y'all ;)

Last edited:
yep i think chip is the man for the scalerr stuff post pics of the build

I got a potential body lined up but it looks a touch small to me....

Is a 1/14-ish scale 4x4 shell (for comparison the real truck is 101" w/b, the model is 7.2") too small for a 1.9 scaler?

OK here's the skinny. I got this idea while I was pondering the problem of finding a shell.

Number 1 - it had to be a Land Rover. I work with them, they are British, and I like them.
Number 2 - it had to be affordable.

Bingo! We have a pile of Radio-controlled G4 Challenge Freelanders at work. Now I hate series 1 Freelanders (the pre-LR2 type). As cars they suck, plainly speaking. Theystill carry the green oval though, and I could get hold of the shell real easy and cheap. I got one from work and proceeded to take it apart.

What I don't know is if this shell is too small for a 1.9" project, or if I can still make it work on a smaller scale maybe? Here's the shell with some dims:

fl_shell-1.jpg

fl_shell-2.jpg

fl_shell-3.jpg

I figure I need to run a 6.5" or narrower track width, and 3" or smaller diameter tyres.

My plan is to cut it off in front of the rear wheel arches and do something like this:

Oliver_at_Giant_Rock4.JPG

But distinctly Freelander - shaped. I plan on filling the back with a bulkhead panel made (properly with ridges and a window maybe) from styrene sheet. If I use a stock WK transmission I basically won't be able to do an interior or cut the windows out, as the transmission will sit right up into the roof. It suits me, I'm not really very hot on detail like that. For the arches I'll rip out all the black part and flare them with some narrow rubber strip to make a wider wheel arch.

I might go on to make a bush bar for the front, but I'm not going to chop out all the front because it'll lose most of what makes it a Freelander if I chop the front out. What I thought was maybe make a discrete winch mount like the Discovery and Range Rover winches in a metal box that sits in front of the fender, and bolts through onto the chassis behind. A bush bar would similarly be fitted via cuts in the fender.

I don't think the finished result will be terribly realistic, it'll be more like a caricature of an off road truck really, but it'll look cool I think.

However, all this depends on the shell being suitable scale in the first offing. Opinions please.

Last edited:
Well unless someone buys me a Losi MRC... I'm afraid ya ain't gonna find out. I decided it was too narrow, well generally too small in fact.

It's a shame. I'd have loved to have used it. I'll keep the body knocking about in case I ever do get offered a MRC at the right price, but for now it's getting plastic wrapped and stored away.

I'm pretty stumped now. I dunno what to use. I'm reluctant to use a Defender, Jeep or a Yota as they've been done to death. The LR3 and Range Rover Sports are a possibility I suppose, but they look kinda odd on solid axles. I really dunno what to do now. It needs to be a 4x4, preferably 2.2 scale and a real one-off whatever it is.

what about a Subaru Brat, or the Subaru Truck? maybe a Nissan. the Tundras havent been overtly over done. yet.

Maybe you could find a killer old cartoon type unit that may covert over well, say The Mystery Machine from Scooby DooBy Doo. lol

Back