Savage XL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay Savage guys got a question. I may be doing some trading on a used Savage XL this weekend need to know what to look for as in week points where things maybe not be obvious to see. Guy said it only has had 1/2 gallon through it doubt that's true. I will be trading a slightly used SCx10 for it that's totally stock. Heres some pics. I have owned several Savage trucks but never an XL been wanting one for some time now.View attachment 13337

View attachment 13338

Last edited:
go over everything check the servos, spin the diffs and gearbox, also check the wheel hexes and axle threads,

look at the dog bones to see if they are bent also engine wise ask him to take the head and back plate off while you're there so you can check the piston and con rod ect and check the clutch shoes & bell too that will give some indication of use

also you may want to take the top of the gearbox off and check the gears inside its just the top 4 screws ( around the roll bar ) and 3 in the top of the gearbox then the top lifts off ( no need to take the truck to pieces

check the steering to ensure nothing is loose

also you may want to check the screws around the truck to make sure the threads are good i will add some edited pics shortly of what to check

EDIT:

here are the pics

these are of my rebuilt savage 21 now X

main screws to check are in green both sides of truck top and bottom ( also check engine mount screws )

( red screws are to remove top of gearbox 3 are on top of gearbox not highlighted )

Excuse the broken C hub ( hit a concrete pillar today while bashing ) check all the wheels feel secure and there is no excess movement in the joints they should move a bit but not too much ( also not all my screws are origonal so they will look slightly different on a new truck

Last edited:
go over everything check the servos, spin the diffs and gearbox, also check the wheel hexes and axle threads,

look at the dog bones to see if they are bent also engine wise ask him to take the head and back plate off while you're there so you can check the piston and con rod ect and check the clutch shoes & bell too that will give some indication of use

also you may want to take the top of the gearbox off and check the gears inside its just the top 4 screws ( around the roll bar ) and 3 in the top of the gearbox then the top lifts off ( no need to take the truck to pieces

check the steering to ensure nothing is loose

also you may want to check the screws around the truck to make sure the threads are good i will add some edited pics shortly of what to check

Yah trades going down in a wally world parking lot LOL! I figured to check most of this stuff just thought that the xl might have some notorious problem areas other than normal wear. I will prob be doing a complete tear down and rebuild anyhow later on. I will do my best to cover the areas you mentioned thanks for the reply man!

Yah trades going down in a wally world parking lot LOL! I figured to check most of this stuff just thought that the xl might have some notorious problem areas other than normal wear. I will prob be doing a complete tear down and rebuild anyhow later on. I will do my best to cover the areas you mentioned thanks for the reply man!

thats cool i learned the hard way when i got mine used only paid £60 ( i knew it needed work ) but i found there was a lot wrong with it i spend around £60 on it to get it back to running condition but then another £180 on things i wanted to replace or were in need of replacing

I got the savage X chassis instead of the original savage 21 chassis i picked up the easy access diff cases ( must have ) fitted a reverse module and new shocks

i recently bought a spare gearbox and replaced my 4th stripped spur with a steel 52T spur updated the battery box from the one that used 3 body pins to the easy access one got the plastic roll cage. and got a full set of new rims & tires

i also just got the 17mm hex conversion kit my spare gearbox is going to have a 49T steel spur fitted when it arrives along with adjustable engine mounts

Ebay has been great with getting parts cheap ( new & used )

Hope the trucks legit and not junk! I will be meeting him tomorrow sometime I hope. I know I am probably losing out cause the scx10 probably has more value but I have one already built to the hilt so the stocker doesn't get much use!

The only things I'd inspect have to do with the driveline, engines can be changed for better engines <this hold true for servos as well, and anything plastic on an MT is just susceptible to wear and tear.

Well I got the truck this evening. It's actually in decent condition. Man that K5.9 has a ton compression I really don't think it has much time on it. It is missing some screw in which I already have them so no big deal. Everything is tight and straight. Going to need a new fuel tank and mounts. I will get some pics up. It's missing the roll cage on the rear. I think I will be converting it to a pull start though. I will post some good pics maybe tomorrow. I figure this one will become a new project after I am finished with the MGT build!

I went the pull start way on my XL and I got nothing but blisters from the pull start. I went back to the roto start and it's so much easier. I know it's more you have to bring with you when you run but your fingers will thank you. I will say the .36 can be known to have air leaks so a seal job might be in order. Also an oil heavy fuel will make the one way slip in no time. Enjoy your new truck and I hope this helps, Steve

Yah I seal all my nitro engine's regardless of brand. May keep the roto not sure yet. If I do I will have to purchase the proper extended starter shaft. First order of business is to get the turnbuckles adjusted correctly dang somebody has these way out LOL! Oh well at least they aren't bent.

Well small update. I went through the truck some tonight. It needs fuel tank mounts, Ordered and on the way. It needed the inside receiver box components ordered and on the way. All servo's were completely out of wrack. Got the turn buckles adjusted properly. It was missing some screws I had all of those on hand. It also had crappy el cheapo air filter. I had a brand new stock 5.9 filter on hand. I also added a set of HPI axle extension to widen the rig out some. All in all truck was not to bad. Hope to get some run in done this week sometime weather permitting to check the transmission. Question the XL is supposed to have a vented 17T clutch bell right? I think someone swapped in an unvented 18T bell. I am sure that 5.9 has plenty of torque to pull that gearing. Also it has a solid steel spur is that stock? I hop to get some pic tomorrow night.

Well small update. I went through the truck some tonight. It needs fuel tank mounts, Ordered and on the way. It needed the inside receiver box components ordered and on the way. All servo's were completely out of wrack. Got the turn buckles adjusted properly. It was missing some screws I had all of those on hand. It also had crappy el cheapo air filter. I had a brand new stock 5.9 filter on hand. I also added a set of HPI axle extension to widen the rig out some. All in all truck was not to bad. Hope to get some run in done this week sometime weather permitting to check the transmission. Question the XL is supposed to have a vented 17T clutch bell right? I think someone swapped in an unvented 18T bell. I am sure that 5.9 has plenty of torque to pull that gearing. Also it has a solid steel spur is that stock? I hop to get some pic tomorrow night.

overall not bad, the gearing you should be ok I'm running 17/52 with a thunder tiger pro 21 in my savage X and it runs perfectly fine i think the XL had a plastic spur as standard but i could be wrong, the steel one will last much longer ( recent addition to my truck )

i thought the savage XL has the axle extensions as standard, i'm thinking of getting them for my X just to help with stability with turning at speed and to give it that nice wide stance

would love to see some pics of your new addition

It may have had axles ext at one time, the guy I got it from may have removed them. It was wider than my savage X though. Now it's a lot wider. I usually don't like to run axle ext on anything but I have beat on a set of these ext and have not had any issue's. The truck just had stock HPI 17mm hex's on it when I got it. I hope to have pics up tomorrow night, battery dead in my wife's camera. And thanks for everyone's help and info.

Well I pulled the engine tonight tore it down and inspected everything. The truck still has the alum clutch shoes with little ware. I did some research the XL does come with the steel spur stock. So far it looks as if the only thing someone has changed is the clutch bell. Will be ordering a 17T vented bell at the end of week. It was also missing the clutch bell shim at the end of the crank. Had everything minus the correct clutch bell. Also the roto start was busted to pieces the complete plastic housing was half missing. I had one for a K4.6 but it wouldn't fit correctly had to use the gear from the old roto in the new housing. Sealed the engine up while I was at it. Heres a couple pics. It's still kind tore down. One pic is the width compared to my Savage X with the adapters installed.

View attachment 13362

View attachment 13363

View attachment 13364

Last edited:
Also the roto start was busted to pieces the complete plastic housing was half missing.

Sounds like someone may have had a bit of a temper tantrum while breaking the engine in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well I got my new receiver box internals tonight and installed them, made a couple passes with it. It definitely needs a higher geared clutch bell. Still waiting on my tank mounts. It's so cold here could only make a couple passes. Still not sure how someone managed to destroy that roto starter plate so bad.LOL:hehe:

Not overly impressed with it. Runs good lots of compression. Going to gear it up some. Guy I got it from had a 16T clutch bell on it and that's to low of gearing with a torque monster engine. When the K5.9 goes bad I will be replacing it with an LRP.32.

The lrp.32 that's going to be a beast if your not looking to beef your whole truck up with new diff new tranny and yoks I go with the lrp.28 I have that thing and it just rips in my savage xl but I had to beef it up a little and what pipe are u going to be using

Back