Savage XL VS REVO Platinum - My amateur review!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igororlic

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all, I am an amateur -RC fan but still...

So, my best mate bought REVO Platinum and I bought SAVAGE XL. At first REVO seemed with all its shiny parts and coloured components as very durable, with high quality parts, hence the price tag. It really looks impressive and professional.

Long story short, we went for a 'bash' one day on the football field and after 3 hours of driving around REVO's wheel almost came off because joints at the ends of red rod broke (why did they make joins of plastic? - stupid!).
I managed to bend XL's suspension rod because I hit the metal fence at 3/4 throttle.

Next time we went to BMX track which off course has some small jump-hills around.
:) ...and after 10 minutes of driving REVO's suspension was gone, 2 parts broken. Then he managed to fix is somehow just so he could drive for another few minutes but then main link for the wheel broke and naturally wheel came off almost completely. He also broke one of the spring-housings. REVO's tires also got pretty detached from the wheel rims.
I was bashing my XL hardcore, landing in every possible way. We both then bashed my XL together for another hour and my mate was very impressed, saying that it was way more fun than REVO. We broke nothing on XL that day.
I'm just very surprised and disappointed at the same time with REVO. Even when we tried to fix something on REVO, we both got impression that it's just poor materials and overall quality of the car was not so good, (engine aside).
I understand that REVO Platinum isn't a bashing car but my mate's REVO saw NO hardcore bashing, just few small jumps and driving around. I mean for that amount of money you'd simply want better quality.

Overall. I think REVO isn't worth the money - especially if you're a basher. SAVAGE XL on the other hand is an excellent performer and worth every cent, I'm very happy with it. :first_place:

cheers :)

the revo had to leave that savage on the track tho

They make the rod-ends out of plastic so that your trucks steering breaks there instead of bending something like the Savvage did...

Revo can bash, but ultimatly its meant to race. Where the Savage is meant to bash hardcore.

I've got an xl and i bash it hardcore too,i make my own ramps and i jump everything i can.i take it to the bmx track and thrash the hell out of it!!i have broken nothin and it has takin some heavy landings hey.my mate has a t-maxx and hes always spending money on it fixing it all the time.the xl is one tuff machine.

Revo can bash, but ultimatly its meant to race. Where the Savage is meant to bash hardcore.

In all reality, when the Revo first came out, it was never intended to be a racer like it is today. It was meant to be the next best monster truck following their ever popular Tmaxx.

And you can't base all your thoughts one just seeing one truck and never really working on one or owning one. The revo has it's place, some people swear by them, some hate them, some people love how they're set up, some hate it, it just all comes to a matter of opinion and how you drive. A Revo, properly set up can hang with a Savage all day.

Not trying to put the Savage down. It's a great truck, very strong, and very well thought out. If it said Losi, i'd buy one. :snooty:

Still.. If you want a TRUE monster truck, it's Losi all the way
:banana-mario::banana-mario::banana-mario:​

you can't compare the xl to the revo there 2 tottaly difrent built machines for 2 tottaly diffrent things, i have both and both dominate the class in which they were built in

I like my Losi too but a neighbor of mine had a Revo and he bashed the hell out of it and it held up just as well as my Losi. So get the truck that your local hobbyshop supplys parts for.

I've own my revo 3.3(5309) for a year and half. the only upgrade are platinum tranny, all rpm a arm with true track, proline cheyenne wheels and moab tires. With that said ALL i do is bash and beat on and it just keeps going without breaking anything.
I'm the only one from my crew that has a revo, they all got savages. So I got a used xl(only 4 tanks of fuel) to blow thiers out the water. Only mod. for now is a cen pipe. So today we went to the bmx course/woods. This being my first run with the xl it was holding it down til the left rear axle carrier snap where tie rob links up. Easy fix but I can't wait to open it up so i can bash hardcore, the sound with the cen pipe is insane. Anyways I couldn't just sit around and watch, so I went back to my car and pulled out the revo. Never lets me down. My heart is split between these two trucks, love them both.

Last edited:
Back