Savage XL issues/new user

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look into getting a manual, it will help out a lot with part identification and part numbers and the such. We'll have to figure out what you have first. The x and xl are very similar, the xl is basically a heavy duty x. Anyhow while you have it all apart; I would get a bearing kit and put new bearing in the whole truck.

what's the name of these parts that I found busted.

can anyone Identify what trans this is and what truck it came from? Savage X? it has XL chassis side on it but none of those parts interchange.

null_zpse3a6323e.jpg

null_zpsdde3a5bb.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a stock 2 speed out of an old .21/.25.

The stripped gears are the 1st and 2nd primary gears.

Looks like a stock 2 speed out of an old .21/.25.

The stripped gears are the 1st and 2nd primary gears.

Good deal sir, thank you! Got everything back together and she's running great! Ran 2 tanks, no issues (knock on wood) but I found this small gold cylinder on my bench and noticed my brakes didn't work. Are these two items too blame?

9are5a9a.jpg

Like this maybe?

And also, I feel like I remember removing something from here. Any idea? Near the front driveshaft

budatatu.jpg

unuzanyz.jpg

Pictures may be in a goofy order but you'll get the idea

Here's the truck.

a2ynu9ez.jpg

hanavedy.jpg

ynyva9y7.jpg

etyzuny4.jpg

mu4y3e2y.jpg

manaby6a.jpg

yvajagar.jpg

This is with that lever installed but brakes still inoperable
5yjypeta.jpg

And the bottom ;)

4a6a7ega.jpg

jy3yru3e.jpg

Thanks again everyone for all your help but lucky me the motor is still good for now. I ordered a rebuild kit and plan on goin with a custom sleeve and dlc coated piston. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

That's a nice truck man, glad you got it going.

That's a nice truck man, glad you got it going.

Thanks brother. I'm not fully convinced yet lol but once I understand her and so on ill me more comfortable and confident.

That lil brass cylinder pushes against your brake pads, squishing the brake disc, causing the savage to stop, if you've got the linkage set properly.

That lil brass cylinder pushes against your brake pads, squishing the brake disc, causing the savage to stop, if you've got the linkage set properly.

I've been trying to find a schematic but so far I've got nothin.

I bought a brand new Savage XL and I can't say I didn't want to put it on Craigslist for 5 bucks or drive it down range and shoot at it...however breakin finished busted it a couple times and I have to admit. Once you just fix a couple things here and there... it's actually a pretty beefy little truck. Everything that does break when you hit a prius at 30 mph is pretty easy to fix and the big stuff is protected by design. Once they are running good they are a lot of fun. Good read this whole post was interesting get to the bottom and had nothing to add except. Go have fun!!