Savage XL issues/new user

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro_Goon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, I just picked up a Savage XL with a Axial .28 spec RR motor, HPI exhaust pipe and it looks like a polished header.. I'm told to run %20 nitro mix by Traxxas. I've got a hi-tec? (I think thats the brand) steering servo with a HPI stock throttle servo.. picked it up yesterday and they guy literally gave me probably $1500-$2000 worth of stuff for $300.. it was a pretty great deal. so my current situation is that the car cold starts NO PROB, runs great for all of about 5-7 mins or 1/4 tank of fuel then _________________ flat line.. it refuses to start unless I play with the throttle on the receiver and hold it wide open while pulling, it'll fire up all crazy and as soon as I let off the throttle to let her idle she stalls... I can keep it running by feathering the throttle but its a minor matter of time until she quits. I swapped glow plugs, in between swapping glow plugs I turned the motor over a few pulls to clear out the cylinder and cool it off a bit but still struggling.. now, I feel (total noob with a decent concept of engines in general) that this is all tune up related, I mean, it's gotta be. where do I start? do I turn all the adjustment screws closed and pull back 2-1/2 turns.. do I take it to the hobby store and pay someone to do it.. I'm sort of stuck here. when I had the starting/running issue last I screwed with an adjustment that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have, its a screw attached to the venturi.. it has an accordion looking tube with a needle in it.. I dont even know what it does or what I did all I know is I was frustrated and it seemed to hurt not help.. got real smokey (I was on and off on the throttle trying to keep it running) and would not stay running

I went to the hobby store today and the guy reset the high speed adjustment to stock spec and recommended I purchase a new radio because the stock one was really messed up, I bought a traxxas tqi 2.4 that seems real nice and on another note, tryng to start it after the 4th stalling problem the pull start cord ripped off in my hands.. i'm feeling discouraged...

give me guidance please!

Last edited:
Check the piston condition on that axial engine, by looking into the exhaust port your piston/sleeve combo might be worn out. If you see a brass colour on the piston while it strokes then its worn out.

Axial engines aren't made of high quality components, so they don't last long. To me it sounds like the engine heats up and then you have troubles. This is a sign that the piston/sleeve combo is on its way out.

Ill check tm, just pull the header pipe and look in?

Sounds like the engine is pretty worn as Alex said above. That is a calling card of a shot engine. When the engine is cold it seals well on the piston/sleeve. Once the engine heats up the sleeve expands a little more than the piston (or un-evenly) and then you start bypassing too much fuel air mixture and you walla have an engine flame out. Axial engines are kinda know for this. I had 2 or 3 that ran great for a couple gallons....then went to poo. Just like you are talking about. I would go with LRP or Picco. Good stuff there.

Sounds like the engine is pretty worn as Alex said above. That is a calling card of a shot engine. When the engine is cold it seals well on the piston/sleeve. Once the engine heats up the sleeve expands a little more than the piston (or un-evenly) and then you start bypassing too much fuel air mixture and you walla have an engine flame out. Axial engines are kinda know for this. I had 2 or 3 that ran great for a couple gallons....then went to poo. Just like you are talking about. I would go with LRP or Picco. Good stuff there.

take a look, I hope you guys are wrong but hey, it is what it is.

null_zpse4777bbd.jpg

null_zps7c5f0fb3.jpg

null_zps72db52a8.jpg

You could use a rebuild, I would put a new piston and sleeve in and break it in properly. I wouldn't spend the money on a new engine until you get comfortable with tuning. You can cut your teeth with this engine and get a better one later, it you want. Traxxas fuel is crap! Get some Byrons, VP powermaster, or Werks. Get 30% nitro content. I would use a Mc 59 glow plug for break in and switch to a mc8 when break in is complete.

Yup for now a rebuild is in order, I think you can get that piston/sleeve/con-rod combo for around $45-$55. While you've got it apart inspect the crank case an crankshaft for any scratches.....if there's signs of scarring on the crank and case then look into another engine.

Don't worry about that axial being low quality. I have 3 axials they work good for my bashers, I don't worry about breaking them as much as I would my piccos.

Don't forget bearings and con rod.

I cleaned everything, put it all back together with clevite assembly lube, reset all the factory carb adjustments, put a new clutch pack in and this thing ran awesome! I ran 3 tanks through her when all of a sudden it just stopped moving. it ran and revved but wouldn't go anywhere. I noticed that the large black gear in the center would spin with engine RPM but no movement at all. Trans blow? I have no idea.. all I know is that I wish I could sell this frikken thing to make my money back. what a pain in the butt.. I typically have great patience but I was so pissed I smacked my trash can and lost my glow plug igniter. stupid nitro!

Unlikely it's the trans. Could be something as simple as a drive shaft pin or a loose slipper.
It's all part of this hobby. Get used to it. Wrenching is half the pleasure.

Unlikely it's the trans. Could be something as simple as a drive shaft pin or a loose slipper.
It's all part of this hobby. Get used to it. Wrenching is half the pleasure.

slipper? I'm assuming its under the cover near the large drive gear?

It could be your slipper clutch needs tightened down or your slipper clutch pad is bad. I doubt you blew up the trans, there pretty darn tuff. This hobby is hard when you are just gettin started, but you'll be surprised how fast you can pick thinks up. If it was easy would be able keep people interested for years and years?

The big drive gear is called the spur gear. The slipper clutch pad is stuck to the back of that gear. Did you by chance get a manual with the truck?

no manual with the truck, I took the whole thing apart.. very nervous if I'll be able to put it back together. pulled the gear case out and behold!, 2 gears in the center melted together damn near.. plastic dust everywhere! pretty sure thats my problem.. was I supposed to take the aluminum chassis sides all the way off? I tried but there is one phillips that is totally stripped out that I didnt bother cutting a slot and workin on it for now, I just squeezed everything sideways then out the top.. pretty sure I'm going to have big problems putting it all back together but hey, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it so any input would be appreciated! off to the hobby store tomorrow, AGAIN! :)

btw, you guys are awesome.. I really appreciate all the help.

You more than likely had a flanged bearing let go t happens from time to time. If you scroll up to the top and check out the stickies, theres one that outlines how to build a bullet proof transmission, a lot of us are usings that mod. It won't stop a bearing from becoming dust but your trans gears will last a good deal longer.

You more than likely had a flanged bearing let go t happens from time to time. If you scroll up to the top and check out the stickies, theres one that outlines how to build a bullet proof transmission, a lot of us are usings that mod. It won't stop a bearing from becoming dust but your trans gears will last a good deal longer.

Good deal, my issue is that the gears are really confusing to me.. I'm gonna have nightmares getting this thing back together. I'm going to try and find a video on you tube outlining removal and install.. another issue is I do not know what model this started as.. it was converted to an XL, I'm thinking it started as an X.. anything I need to look for to help decode what it is?

Thanks!

There were quit a few savage models over the last 10 years. Can you post some detailed picks of you rig that will help us out a bunch.

Since you are going to be rebuilding the transmission you might as well check the bulletproof tranny mod sticky at the top of the Savage forum. If not a hundred percent guarantee you'll never blow the transmission up but pretty close to it.