Savage XL Differential Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMVance

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am waiting on the arrival of my first RC truck, an HPI Savage XL, and in thinking about some mods I would like to do, I came across these Slider CVD shafts on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200690387768?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649).
v8d2is.jpg

I am also wanting to upgrade the differentials to the alloy diff housings (http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_Gearbox_Assembly_p/intt6923purple.htm).
ek547s.jpg

I seem to recall seeing a post somewhere that the shafts may not be compatibloe with the alloy diff housings, but I can't find it again. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I am new to the RC world, and this is my first Nitro truck, so I apologize if this has already been answered. Someone told me this hobby is addictive, and I believe it. :D

Thanks for the help.
Charlie

I have no experience with the CV shafts, but stay away from that integy bulkhead. If you want an aluminum bulk, buy the one from Golden Horizons. They make a much better product. IMO, your better off waiting until something breaks and then upgrade. http://www.ghhobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=2618

Last edited:
The drive shafts on the XL are designed to handle to output of the bigger engine so save your money and get a better charger for the receiver pack. With a better charger you'll know how charged your battery is and if you get one with a discharge feature, your pack or packs will last longer. My XL is completely stock with the exception of a larger capacity receiver pack and the pull start I have on it now. Just make sure you follow the break in procedures and buy a temp gun. Hope this helps, Steve.

^+1^ If you dont have 1 already than a good temp gun is a must. Also if your lookin to add aftermarket your gonna need some tools. Do you already own a good set of allen and nut drivers? I dont have a Savage but from what I've read and heard you wont need to upgrade much on the Xl with the exception of the motor eventually. Everyone seems to say thats the weakest point of that rig by far.

I'll going to pick up a Klein Temp Gun tomorrow and already have a good supply of tools. Nut drivers, allen set, screwdrivers, etc.

I hadn't thought about upgrading chargers, but will pick up a high end charger when I pick the truck up on (hopefully) Tuesday. Can you recommend a good charger with discharge, etc? Also thinking about a spare battery for the receiver too.

I have the XL and I agree the stock 5.9 is iffy at best some have good luck with it some don't. I didn't neither did my neighbor. The rest of the truck on the other hand is a great platform. The stock drivetrain already has heavy duty driveshafts and aluminum bulks aren't necessary but if that's they way you want to go then by all means have at it. The truck is tough as nails as is out of the box. Some will advise that you shim the diffs but I haven't had any trouble out of mine but then again it is an rtr so checking them before you get too crazy with it wouldn't be a bad idea. I would also suggest checking the mesh on the spur gear before you drive it as well. Otherwise give her hell and have fun with it it's a great truck!

Picked up a Fluke Temp Gun yesterday (Monday), and if UPS is on schedule, I pick up my truck today at Hobbytown. Counting the hours until they call. (Like a kid on Christmas Eve.) :D

---------- Post added at 2:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:10 AM ----------

I'm going to resist the urge to pull it out of the box and immediately fire it up, I am going to go through the checklist checking the adjustments, screws tight, etc, and seal the engine before I start the break in.

I picked up my Savage today and just now got through sealing the engine. The article I read with the instructions for sealing did not mention sealing the head. I did not, assuming there was a reason it didn't say to seal it. Does anyone who seals their engines seal the head with the silicon?

The break in starts tomorrow.

Honestly I would've sealed it only if you had a tuning problem. Now for some reason, heaven forbid you have a defective engine, HPI might not cover the warrenty due to being opened up. Hopefully you're ok but mine had a defective carb so after I sent it in for repair and did the break in, I sealed mine.

Back