Savage XL and LRP.30

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levesque87

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was wondering what flywheel, and clutch bell would work the best? I was thinking of running a 49/17 on my XL with this motor. Anyone try the 4 shoe clutch? I've seen bits and pieces of it on line. Does the stock motor mount work from the XL?

Last edited:
That gearing will be pretty effortless in the XL. The stock everything will work BUT the pipe. This is VERY important with this engine as I found out. It is a very high flow engine so you just gotta have a good pipe. The two pipes I found work the best were the JP-2 and the ERCM big block pipes. Four shoe clutches really are no value added IMO...a good aluminum 3 shoe is all you really need.

i am going to put an Ofna 053 pipe on it and werks clutch system. from the reviews i read about them on the lrp.30 where all very high and good. so 52/16 for the gearing?

I have never used the Werks clutch system so I can offer no advise on that one. I am not sure if that pipe is going to offer a high enough flow to keep the engine happy or not. I know mine with a JP-4 ran like poop and overheated like crazy. I had to us a pipe that was made for more top end performance to allow for flow. Either of your gearing choices would work but this engine has WAY more power than the 5.9 ever thought of having so I think the 49/17 you had originally mentioned would be perfect.

the research i did on line about the pipe with that motor seem to be ideal for each other. But, i wont know my self in till i try it.

Yeah you are right...you will find out when ya run it. I have never actually used that pipe so I can't really say either way. However, once you find a pipe that engine likes.....oh yeah, look out! It is a beast.

i can't wait the motor should be here this week, Wednesday i think. The pipe and clutch system should be here Tuesday. Now for a motor mount...will a savage one work? or do i need to find a different one

No the stock engine mount works just fine...don't need to replace it unless it breaks. I ran mine on a stock mount with no issues at all. Nearly any big block engine will fit a savage mount.

awesome... i can't wait to get it together. lol ill get some picks when its all complete

Back