Savage XL alternative fuel tanks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah - i don't run my expensive toys in water/snow/mud. Not only does it run the risk of damaging the radio gear, it's also very hard on a nitro engine. When it gets splashed the cylinder will shrink down very quickly and cause damage to the piston and liner. I chose not to put the radio gear in a waterproof box (not the stock savage one because it's barely dust proof) because I run it hard on the local 1/8 scale track. There are several options for small receiver boxes that can be made to fit with a little bit of imagination. Also - why the huge sub-c batteries? You are making this harder than it needs to be.

Yeah - i don't run my expensive toys in water/snow/mud. Not only does it run the risk of damaging the radio gear, it's also very hard on a nitro engine. When it gets splashed the cylinder will shrink down very quickly and cause damage to the piston and liner. I chose not to put the radio gear in a waterproof box (not the stock savage one because it's barely dust proof) because I run it hard on the local 1/8 scale track. There are several options for small receiver boxes that can be made to fit with a little bit of imagination. Also - why the huge sub-c batteries? You are making this harder than it needs to be.

gives me really long run times it's a 4000mah battery also i'm running some hungry high torque servos and a light kit with 14 leds

i found the stock X battery box to be pretty water resistant even still with the front cut open i have never had any water reach the receiver and only the odd few drops on the battery and living in the UK i dont have the luxury of consistent dry weather to enjoy the hobby

with my RC helicopter i get lucky to fly it more than a few times a year

possibly my final update on this fuel tank project, and the truck project as whole,

if there are any more questions i will try to answer them as soon as i can,

I got to run the truck today and as the city has cut the grass in the woods/field next to my house i could open it up properly and test run time

first things first, i have decided to keep the tank mounted where it is with zip ties, it's not coming into contact with the exhaust manifold, i'm probably just going to make something on the fiberglass shell that will provide protection likely just two copper pipes bolted/riveted in place

I also made a mistake when i said i was changing to 52/14 i meant 49/14 ( did not need to adjust the 3 speed ) this was a major improvement with the bigger wheels, also its actually 25 leds and the digital voltage display

The engine ran very well today got a nice tune on it, no matter how hard i ran the engine it did not get very hot, i could actually rest my hand on the cooling head with no risk of burning it

i think my project is complete ( except getting a new engine when money allows )

nothing is in dire need of replacement,

pic of now flat fuel tank (no neck)
IMG_3128.JPG

cut open and abused radio/battery box (1/5 sub C battery) yes it shows 3800MAH but its actually 4000MAH capacity was tested when cycling it for use with my charger (turnigy accucel 6 80W)
IMG_3129.JPG
IMG_3130.JPG

i know the shocks look overly preloaded, i have adjusted them properly now they were just like that while the grass was long to reduce drag
IMG_3131.JPG

In this pic you can see fuel level when i stopped running the truck that was after 15 minutes give or take
IMG_3132.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG

Sounds like for all the effort involved, you found a good solution that works for you! Nice work!!! :thumbs-up:

Back