Savage X / stuck throttle and stripped spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITRO FEVER

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well Friday I recived the NEW Savage X so Saturday I unbox it and begine the engine break in just like the book says 1st 2 tanks let idle on stand and I slightly varied tghrottle rpms at time, well the 3rd tank time came and I put body on and just started cruising it around figure eights and such up and down a few mounds etc. then all of a sudden its like it it lost power and stopped but engine was still running it was about 20' from me so I started walking to it and as I am the engine starts racing rpm's but not really going anywhere by the time I start to grab it the throttle is now pinned wide open it seems and engine just racing but truck wheels were hardly turning I was kind of panicing at this time I got my hand under the body and pinched fuel line and got it shut off, then after taking body off I notice the spur gear is absolutely melted gone and the clutch bell is just clanging around like it is loose and if I turn with my finger it sloppy and not even staying centered, I'm very new to Nitro so has anyone heard of anything like this, what could of went wrong...I need help and advise Do you think the motor is ok after being pinned wide open like that. Dont know where to start????????:\

To me it sounds like the clutch bell got super hot,ate the teeth off of the spur and destroyed the bearings. The idle should have been ok from the factory. Did you turn the throttle trim up to get it to crank?

Your theory sounds like a definite possibility but why would that clutch get that hot and why would the throttle stick wide open / NO I never touched any of the carb setting from what they came with and the trim knob was set a notch or so before the nuetral possition but even starting with the 1st tank the idle seemed high the whole time but I did not want to ajust untill break in was complete, I guess if that ide was to high it could cause clutch to get hot but that still doesn't explain the stuck full throttle, I know the knob/trim setting specificily was not too high due to when it started to rev up that was the 1st thing I looked down at the controller while I was walking to it because that was 1st thing that came to my mind!

Once the gear where gone there was no resistance. Did you check the temp? If it wasn't moving and the RPM increasingly got higher it may have got a little warm. The stock clutch is a composite plastic and the clutch bell is not vented(no holes for cooling) along with the high idle if it was contently trying to lunge or creep forward add a couple hills and its hot also there could have been an issue with the clutch springs. Could be wrong i would definitely look into it closer. First you may want to contact HPI and see if they will help you out. The parts aren't to hard on the wallet.

Last edited:
Back