Savage X SS 4.6 kit questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger25186

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I went ahead & bought my Savage X SS now, along with the Ofna linkage mod parts(should be here by the weekend) instead of waiting for Christmas. I have a few questions though. First does the kit come with shock oil, if not what brand & weight is recommended? Second are the diffs prefilled, again if not, what brand & weight? Third are the red fiber brake disks better than the stainless ones. I don't plan to do any hardcore bashing until spring when I can get out & about to find some bashing sites.

did you buy a NEW RTR unit ? if so shocks are filled & diffs ready to go. it is ready to run. I have had my Savage for over a year now with the stock brakes and I bash pretty hard at times. I have never had a issue they are still working great.
only options I added was:
  • HPIA720 Big Bore Alum. shock set
  • HPI308 battery level indicator
  • Motor Saver Air Filter Kit SAV1100
  • THSRacing pipe
  • Integy center skid plate, fuel tank guard & wheelie bar

No, I bought the kit so I can learn my way around it in case I have to work on it. Do you any grease in the tranny?

Do you have a local hobby shop? If you do when you receive the truck see if there is any oils in it, it probably comes with oils you might just have to put it in yourself. Regardless though this stuff is good to have on hand for when you do need it, and you will need it.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question better, I only have a Savage flux and it comes rtr. Although I did switch out diff oil immediately due to shimming the diff, something you should look into. As well as the shock oil just because I wanted something thicker. I also put a small amount of automotive chasis/bearing grease on the gears in my transmission.

@roger25118 the Savage SS kit will come with stock oils for the shocks and diffs. As for the brakes, in all accounts I've heard the new red fiberglass brakes (part #: HPI 87025) perform better than the stock stainless steel brakes.

@roger25118 the Savage SS kit will come with stock oils for the shocks and diffs. As for the brakes, in all accounts I've heard the new red fiberglass brakes (part #: HPI 87025) perform better than the stock stainless steel brakes.
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. On the bakes I heard that the fiberglass ones tend to break, but I thought they would have better stopping power.

The savage transmission is a dry transmission, greasing it can cause the 2nd, and 3rd clutch pawls to get sticky, and may make them not engage at the right time.

I would start with a 30-35w silicone shock oil.
For the savage shocks make sure it's silicone base oil. < important to keep o-rings/diaphragms from deteriorating.

I don't know about the brakes, when I wanna stop I just throw my savages into a 180* and blip the throttle slightly.

I like going with a thicker diff oil, it'll keep the a-arm that gets a lil air from dumping all the power to the spinning tire, remember a tire that isn't making contact with the ground, is robbing the power from the tire that is connected to the other side of that differential.

Thicker diff fluid make a savage more predictable, but lessen it cornering ability, while a thinner diff fluid will aid in cornering, but make it more unpredictable under straight line acceleration.

Last edited:
The savage transmission is a dry transmission, greasing it can cause the 2nd, and 3rd clutch pawls to get sticky, and may make them not engage at the right time.

I would start with a 30-35w silicone shock oil.
For the savage shocks make sure it's silicone base oil. < important to keep o-rings/diaphragms from deteriorating.

I don't know about the brakes, when I wanna stop I just throw my savages into a 180* and blip the throttle slightly.

I like going with a thicker diff oil, it'll keep the a-arm that gets a lil air from dumping all the power to the spinning tire, remember a tire that isn't making contact with the ground, is robbing the power from the tire that is connected to the other side of that differential.

Thicker diff fluid make a savage more predictable, but lessen it cornering ability, while a thinner diff fluid will aid in cornering, but make it more unpredictable under straight line acceleration.

I didn't know that about the tranny, looks like I got some tranny cleaning to do. Sorry about the bad advice op.

IMO building a new kit is the funnest part of the hobby, there's nothing like building a working model from bags of parts and screws! I think your going to be surprised at how many parts are in that box lol. Don't rush through it, take your time don't try to skip ahead on anything and enjoy it! If you get stuck put everything down for a while and come back to it later. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

The kit will come with stock fluids for the shocks and diffs, they work fine to start. the tranny does run dry.....the directions will also tell you this. You are building a kit to know how your kit works so build it exactly as the directions tell you, you can learn to modify later.

Have fun!

I'll second that! Kits are great fun and a great learning experience as well,

I just got to figure out how to put the clutch shoes & springs on, it's driving me crazy.

I saw that, it's like my instructions. My problem is figuring out how to install the springs.
Update: I got my clutch shoes on, once I figured out how the springs goes, it was fairly simple.

Last edited:
That's the great thing about a kit, you will never have trouble replacing clutch shoes or springs again! Good job

Back