savage x 4.6 one way bearing slipping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denison123

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi i have a savage x 4.6 and i have gone through 6 owb in the last 3 months but when the owb slip they don't spin catch spin catch spin catch they just go from good to slipping completely and not catching at all any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the fuel your using has way too much oil. I was having the same problem on my xl with the 5.9 engine. I switched from traxxas fuel to byrons and then ditched the roto start for a pull start. It just got to the point of me not even being able to start it. You also need to thoroughly clean the starter shaft every time you install a new bearing.

Last edited:
thank you i am useing traxas 20% also dose the pull start help
the owb

On my GT2, there is a little tiny tiny rod that connects from the crank onto the starter. when I put it back together I did something wrong or something I lost, but it would turn then slip, then turn then slip.The pin wouldnt always stay engaged, it would slip. Have you taken your starter apart before?

You can take the owb off and clean it thoroughly with wd40 and a paper towel run through it several times and it will work again most of the time unless its went bad completely. Alot of times they just get gummed up and wont work correctly if at all. Clean it first and try that because the owb is about $20 or more by itself. The pullstart just lightens the motor a little and has a lessor resistance on the owb and shaft than an ez start. But not a very noticeable difference that i found. Although you may notice some difference in power and response due to the less weight. The owb only works one way so when the engine is running it has little to no resistance on shaft.

yes i take it apart every time and clean it then put it in it works 1 or too sec and then dose not catch at all so i just went out side looked at all my old owb and 2 are completely recked but all the other ones look new but anyways i also just called hpi demanded a new engine and right as they were about to send it they said well its just the crank case and the roto start backplate so thats what they sent me no pics or question's asked.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

i almost lost that a week ago luckily i had a magnet near by

Soaking and sloshing the OWB in alcohol removes any oil that's in it. Clean the shaft as well and blow dry the bearing.
The roto start puts a real load on the OWB when the engine is new so loosen the glow plug slightly when you're cranking it.

like i have said i clean it every time and loosen the plug but it keeps going

Back