savage x 4.6 full throttle stalling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgeguy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys
i have a bit of a problem(hopefully small).i just bought a used savage x 4.6 and the guy said it probably needed tuning as it has sat for a few months.
i got it fired up but you can only give it about half to three quarters throttle or it just dies no matter how warm the motor is....any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I haven't had an r/c for about 20 or more years and now I'm really out of the loop with this nitro unit.

I'd start with cleaning out the carb. Then returning the carb needle back to factory settings/flush with carb body, then start to tune it from there. Did you disassemble the engine to see if anything was rusted?

Get it started and let it warm up. Put the nose against something and start blipping the throttle while adjusting the LSN. If it gets worse while richening it, keep blipping while leaning it. When it stays running start to adjust the HSN for WOT (Wide Open Throttle).
You'll need to adjust the HSN for daily changes in temp and humidity, but usually the LSN can stay the same.

i was wondering if the temp outside was a big factor.....its still freezing here at night or getting darn close to it...... a big whopping +12'c here today.....it will usually start up and stay running,the odd time it will stall out .once its warmed up it starts right back up after it dies at wot....but even if you hit the trigger fast it will stall pretty much stall right waway every time

temperature is ALWAYS a factor when tuning a nitro.

thanks guys....i have it running pretty decent now.it was the low speed needle,i went back to factory settings and started from there.it seems a little slower to first fire up but much better.it seems pretty slow to prime the fuel line though.the only problem i have now is that the spur gear nut keeps either coming loose or once it has came right off....then the search was on for a nut that would fit..any more ideas???

if you still have the nut that fits, put some blue lock-tite(semi-permanent) on it. not red because you will be needing to remove the nut from time to time if you have problems

i found a nut in with the misc parts he gave me that looked darn close and threaded right on...this time i did lock tite it and am just gonna hope form the best...i have had a few bolts and screws come loose ...first my engine screws then after that its just been the spur gear so I'm pretty sure ill have to get into the geartrain a few more times by the time I'm done.

Glad that worked.
Hmmm...I've never heard of that coming loose. Check the bushing on the spur gear. Locktite will work but it is bandaid.

Finally what do u mean truck slow to start? Should fire right up so we can help u fix that

mine is starting slow, but i know the reason, and its my fault! just keep in mind, when you shut off the truck, keep the piston BDC. i got out of the hobby for a few years and had to re-learn a lot of it. just forwarding the warning. losing compression is such a headache

Check your clunk and lid seal.

Last edited:
ok guys hopefully just one or two more questions and then hopefully I wont be a pain in the butt for a while...after i run my truck for a few mins the idle seems to rise.and all most hang on a bit after i let off the throttle.it bogs a bit off the start and if i pinch the fuel line it sure seems to run for quite a while before it shuts off....I'm wondering if i should start from scratch on my tune or if its just the matter of adjusting a needle.