Savage Wheels barely turn

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subie

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Fresh batteries all around, wheels barely turn about 1mm left and right. Off the ground they turn normal. Was working normal the first 10 minutes after i put the new batteries. It is a Savage 4.6 X

It's normal. When they are off the ground there is no load. On the ground there is a lot of resistance. Once the truck is rolling they will turn fully.
For better and quicker response, if you race, you'll want to upgrade your steering servo.

For better and quicker response, if you race, you'll want to upgrade your steering servo.

For better and quicker response, if you race, want your Savage to turn while driving off-road you'll want to upgrade your steering servo. ;-) I don't race mine, but it requires the strongest/fastest steering servo out of my fleet. You will not notice much (if any difference from stock until you get in the ~190/.15 area. Meaning don't go out and buy a 210/.19 or 170/.15 servo you really won't be able to tell the difference from the stock. If anyone is interested I've been charting where I see the main jumps in steering 'kick-assedness' based on servos in a Savage. Beginning with stock all the way up t. 549/.07. Stock steering assy except I replaced those bushings with bearings and adjusted my servo pre-load as needed

Last edited:
could be your servo saver in the steering linkage isn't tight enough.

could be your servo saver in the steering linkage isn't tight enough.

Man, we got some common sense going on here now. ;-) (Nice to see you on here, BTW).

Yes, check that spring. I just did a maintenance check on my neighbors Savage.....he never maintains it so I steal it for a few days and fix everything. ;-) Anyway, he has maybe a gallon on his and his spring was pretty much flush with the top of the post. Assuming you run stock servo, I'd tighten down about 5-7mm from top of the post. Also, if you see it was loose....I recommend the HD one. Seems once the stock springs start to loosen, they continue to do so. I have ~gallon on the HD one with a variety of servos (so have moved it around a lot). It's a great, inexpensive item for your steering--as is replacing post bushings with bearings.

Back