Savage shocks won't rebound

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawazar

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a new Savage that I got a great deal on. I added alot of aluminum upgrades such as upper and lower control arms skid plates front, rear and center, bulkheads, turnbuckles and shape hubs. Since I have installed all of this the shocks seem to have lost their rebound. When I push the suspension all the way down it will on return maybe 1/2 inch. Maybe due to the added weight? I know some of the suspension pins were a little tight to install. So maybe some binding? But when there is not weight on the wheels the shocks will rebound no problem. It was fine prior to the upgrades. Any suggestions? I was thinking new springs. All of the parts are New Era and they offer what I think are stiffer springs for $19.95 a set of eight. I can't afford a new shock set right now that is why I was looking at just springs. Thanks for the help.
Rob

New springs are a plus! WFC makes a variety of 4 different strengths. I believe the stocks are 2-3lbs each spring whereas you can go up to 5-6 on WFC.

I would also check to make sure your shocks were filled properly from the factory. Low oil will cause this as well. And last but not least, YES, those pins can be overtightened as well as the shock mount screws. Check those as well.

all of my shocks were lacking oil, i found the easy way to fill them i put in silicon oil so had to cleam the old oil out, was to take them all the way apart, i filled the shock body almost full, slipped the piston back in slowly, getting the shaft in the hole, (if ya got problems with it put little hair around it) and slide the piston in till you can get the cap on, oil is running over your fingers at this point, screw the cap back on, if it is blead right the shaft should not push out of the shock when compressed... else it has air inside. with no spring on it, i put 30wt in mine...

i also took a touring car springs, an dreplaced the black plastic pieces with them so i coudl get full ride height, full suspention down with out coil bind, aka added springs will compress, and they make all different weights for touring car springs.. i got 3.5lb ones on the back and 2.5lb ones on the front.. the thing sits level under acceleration NOW...

Hi Christian,

I am really new here. What company is WFC so I can see what springs they have to offer. I am also going to check the shock oil today.
Thanks Again,
Rob

Thanks you guys have been great. I posted a couple of photos of my truck though I need to button up a couple of things. I think there is a problem with one of the photos, LMK. Thanks again for the help.:)

Back