savage diff fluids??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpgregorc08

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I've been reading and hearing about how the savage x 4.6 has alot of diff problems so i am wondering what kind of fluid i should run in the front and rear diffs so that i can try to avoid any problems...also how do you even check the fluid in the diffs? i just got this savage not long ago its my first one so any help is appreciated...thanks ahead of time

if you shim your diffs correctly i dont think it should matter what grease you use, the thicker it is the less differental action youll have

how do you know if your diffs are shimmed properly?.....Are they shimmed properly from the factory?

Not always.
You set the ring and pinion mesh just like the spur/CB mesh. Only difference is you use shims to remove all excess play. Overshimming kills the bearings. Shimming diffs properly is a trial and error process. Differential outdrive bearings are the culprit on the Savages. they need to be replaced every 1-2 gallons IMO. The newer bulletproof diff design would be a good upgrade if you destroy the stockers. Diff fluid has no impact on the diff issues with the Savage. Just run good automotive high temp axle bearing grease in the cups. That is the best thing to put in the diff cups for longevity. if you race, then experiment with silicone fluids Otherwise they are not worth the hassle. 4 good hours of use and most diff fluids are cooked and no longer do the job.

Back