Savage 4.6 hop-ups for bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I would like to know what would be some good hop-ups to add some power and durability to my truck for bashing, aside from what i have put into it.

I've machined some Titanium Big bore 171mm shocks
Bought 2 Savox 161 OZ torque waterproof servos for steering and throttle
bought a plastic skid plate to save my breaks from getting smashed by rocks
installed the stock plastic roll cage
Machined a titanium fuel filter
and last but not least, an integy wheely bar

recommend whichever you would think is best for bashing, this is one hobby i have that i dont mind spending money on without wasting it! dont be shy

From reading your other post I would suggest new exhaust gaskets and ditch the plastic pipe! A good pipe can really improve performance, I have never owned one but lots of people swear by ERCM pipes! The best pipe I have ever used on an MT was a Werks pipe designed for low end power. Both of these will cost around $100.00.

yeah after i saw the melted plastic, it kinda turned me off to running my truck at long periods of time.. ERCM huh? ill have to look into it, no more composite or plastic pipes for me, dont trust em anymore!

Where did your pipe melt? You might want to see what caused it, as I don't think driving it for long periods should melt the pipe. I run an 053 on mine, but had the stock for ~3.5 gallons. It's like putting on alum shoes because stock ones are melting...the underlying issue is still there. I'm curious as to what is causing it to melt...

One approach is to just keep going off on it....and as things break determine if it is a part, design, and or user error. I've had the last one a lot as I'm still becoming familiar with my Savage but getting there. ;-)

There's not really an over-arching 'this is a must have' component that I am aware of--other than capturing the hinge pins--as it depends on how/where you bash it. I like to jump my Savage as high and far as I can (guess it's the buggy guy in me) and found that is the one thing the stock Savage X 4.6 doesn't like--but it's got no say in the matter. ;-) Performance upgrades (pipes/clutches/suspension, etc) are the same--just depends on what you want to accomplish.

Below is what I can recall at the moment I've had to do to mine to begin getting it durable, along with with why so it might help be put into context.

1. RPM skid plate--Like you said it could be disasterous without one.
2. HD servo saver--Stock wore
3. HD cup joints--(All of them) Stock ones wore
4. Sway bar kit--To decrease roll on high-bite... captures hinge pins as well.
5. RPM A-Arms--Upper-ones bind/lower ones don't have sway bar mount. I only got them because I cracked a stock a-arm, but have since learned the arm was not the point of failure, so have since removed the RPM ones.
6. Replace steering bushings with bearings--smoothed out steering
7. Aluminum servo horn--Did not need one until I went over 200oz torque and stock stripped.
8. Multiple servos--I found little-to-no difference betweeen stock and anything with at least 200/.14--torque/speed. Running HiTec 7955 right now (333/.15). If you are not worried about cost, consider the one I am going to try next--ProTek 170S--549/.07! Unaware of anyone running one in a Savage would love to hear back from someone doing so.
9. HD rod ends--Kept popping them, but found capturing with washers is best mitigation. However, the HD ones helped a lot with slop.
10. HPI wheelie bar--Wheelies are fun
11. OFNA 053--I tried multiple pipes (086/RE11/2013/2058) but the 053 seemed best for current engine/need.
12. Hump pack
13. Multiple shock springs--Mainly for jumps
14. Alum shoes--I only use if on high-traction as the stock nylon help me tame the acceleration on low-traction surfaces (although I prefer 1mm springs with them).
15. Gearing--Vented bell but only because it was needed for one of my additional spurs.
16. Tony's screw kit--Simply because I prefer hex.

There are others I cannot think of, but really just keep on top of wear items carriers, hinge/step pins, bearings, transmission shaft play, as well as capturing as many components as you can. I recently melted my clutch shoes (and two spur gears) due to my engine plate bending, which bent mount as well, causing the clutch bell to rub against brake discs--heating it all up. Trying to determine why it bent, but will get the HD one if it turns out that was the point of failure.

I also found setup makes the biggest difference with respect to performance (suspension, right height, roll center, clutch, etc.) so there are parts that have more tuning options. You can also look at some mods like the half-tank lean/throttle mod, etc. Right now trying to determine what I need for my upcoming new engine to handle additional power. Even now I have to tame the low end depending on terrain, so want to ensure I can keep it from being thrown around 'like a rag doll'...as well as not blow up drive-train.

Last edited:
come to think of it, i do remember jumping my savage one day and i was jumping over the levy, it was about a 40 ft gap and a 30 ft drop, i was jumping it for about a half hour with no problems, the last jump went a little too far and i bottomed out hardcore and i remember the pipe popping out of the fitting, i didnt check for splintering or cracks, but that may be the underlying cause, and it probably didnt help that it was cold and was running it lean. the cold and heat probably had a lot to do with it. but I've straightened everythig out yesterday, it runs rich and steady, not too rich though,

In other words,
I will have to look into getting the A arms and vented clutch
Servo saver and Savox servos i have are doing well, Wheelie bar is great for stability on wheelies, got titanium big bore shocks with some stiff springs that add a lot of stability, got my hump pack when i first picked the truck up. its a very trusty truck, but its a savage, thats a given!
I did order parts for the XL conversion kit, along with tires, gonna change out my clutch bell and diffs. looking into a new pipe withing the next week. thanks for your help man

come to think of it, i do remember jumping my savage one day and i was jumping over the levy, it was about a 40 ft gap and a 30 ft drop, i was jumping it for about a half hour with no problems, the last jump went a little too far and i bottomed out hardcore and i remember the pipe popping out of the fitting, i didnt check for splintering or cracks, but that may be the underlying cause, and it probably didnt help that it was cold and was running it lean. the cold and heat probably had a lot to do with it. but I've straightened everythig out yesterday, it runs rich and steady, not too rich though,

In other words,
I will have to look into getting the A arms and vented clutch
Servo saver and Savox servos i have are doing well, Wheelie bar is great for stability on wheelies, got titanium big bore shocks with some stiff springs that add a lot of stability, got my hump pack when i first picked the truck up. its a very trusty truck, but its a savage, thats a given!
I did order parts for the XL conversion kit, along with tires, gonna change out my clutch bell and diffs. looking into a new pipe withing the next week. thanks for your help man

No problem. Man, I LOVE doing wheelies. I have no idea why--as I suck at driving--but for some odd reason I picked up doing wheelies early on and now like to do trick wheelies (back flips while riding one off a ramp, breaking the 30mph mark riding one, etc.). In fact, I have started learning how to turn while doing wheelies. I know it's corny, but the only thing I'm half-way decent at in this hobby. ;-)

What changes are you making to your diffs? This is only my second vehicle that does not have a center diff...so it's a little different for me (but have not had problems transferring power via the slipper clutch).

Last edited:
No problem. Man, I LOVE doing wheelies. I have no idea why--as I suck at driving--but for some odd reason I picked up doing wheelies early on and now like to do trick wheelies (back flips while riding one off a ramp, breaking the 30mph mark riding one, etc.). In fact, I have started learning how to turn while doing wheelies. I know it's corny, but the only thing I'm half-way decent at in this hobby. ;-)

What changes are you making to your diffs? This is only my second vehicle that does not have a center diff...so it's a little different for me (but have not had problems transferring power via the slipper clutch).
thinking about getting bulletproof diffs from the savage XL, but not until i break a diff;P yeah the wheelies are a blast, today i went to wheelie over the levy by my house and it kicked my front tires forward really fast and it front flipped, landed and flipped again and rolled... rolled forever, you know how it is when they get to rolling sideways, they never stop lol

The heat sink protector has not protected my heat sink. I need to come up with something else.

[URL=http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/mylittlepony/media/IMG-20140413-00926_zpsd5b8c58f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag196/mylittlepony/IMG-20140413-00926_zpsd5b8c58f.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

looks like its been hit a few times,i would forge your own titanium/aluminum bars that would mount to the TVP's that would be the easiest cheapest fix. I could make one similar to the stock bar, but reinforced and prettier