Savage 3 speed tranny upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakes

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
any ideas on what to replace the plastic gear in the 3 speed set up? Was searching for the hot racing 44 tooth steel gear that has been discontinued, can't seem to find a replacement. Waiting for my ercm pipe and motor from Robin.
I already have the steel idler and drive gear.
Thank you.

Welcome to RCNT @snakes. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, I've not had the 3 speed.

Have you checked out Robinson Racing? They make a lot of gear stuff.

That hr steel gear was way over rated. It is strong but weighs a ton. Big power robber. I have run the plastic gear with ercm picco and pioe with no issues.

The weak point in the three speed is the thin gears you have already changed.

That hr steel gear was way over rated. It is strong but weighs a ton. Big power robber. I have run the plastic gear with ercm picco and pioe with no issues.

The weak point in the three speed is the thin gears you have already changed.
Thank you for the info.
I replaced the two other gears with the octane steel gears. Haven't tested yet, will I sacrifice any performance with the steel gears I replaced?

Thank you for that info. Put my mind at ease knowing the plastic gear will hold.
Haven't tested yet, still waiting for motor and pipe.
With me replacing the other two gears with the octane steel gears will I have any power robbed?

I dont know how heavy they are. Never held one. I'm guessing a little bit. Nothing like that hr gear though.

Back