Sandblasting?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Wasn't sure where to post this...

Would there be any reasons not to use a sandblaster to clean very dirty external engine/metal parts? Nothing where tolerances would be affected of course, thinking more for the nooks & crannies where a wire brush or toothbrush just isn't cutting it for removing gunk & minor oxidation on some older motors I have.

If you use the right media, tolerances would not be an issue. The biggest problem I face when blasting things is that I use silica and that stuff gets into EVERYTHING, and running an engine without getting rid of every last tiny tiny bead of silica could result in a short lived engine. This was something I tried to tell a friend who sandblasted his valve cover from his car in my cabinet, two weeks later it was blowing smoke out like a freight train. That stuff ruined his cylinder walls.

maybe

the only parts I've put in the sandblaster is my header because the stuff gets baked on, and i put my rrp spur and bell in and painted em flat black because they where getting rusty. i use gumout carb cleaner to clean things. i also will fill a oil pan with enough alcohol or paint thinner (depending on what I'm doing) to clean things. I love my sand blaster, lol! a few times I've put my dads old tinker toys in and repainted them.

Back