Same tuned pipe on a larger engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamJG04

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all, new here and was looking for some advice on tuned pipes.

I've been running a budget
.21 in my 1/8 scale for a while now and its lost most of its compression despite proper care (or at least as far as I know) - So ordered a mid range .28 engine. My worry now is that (unbeknown to me originally) the stock pipe might not be suitable with a bigger bore, as its 'tuned' for a certain engine size. Can anyone offer advice on whether or not I should get a new pipe or stick with the original?
Thanks
Sam

Try the original pipe and see how the engine performs.

Its ok if engine Over heats due to the undersized pipe... I dont see the exhaust working.. just a backup of exhaust gas .. but what do I know..

I heard about someone who made a mock exhaust that was too restrictive, and blew the engine. A guy that a guy knows that I know told me. (Third party info, I guess)

^hear say not admissible ..lol I've seen it 2nd hand 1st hand was ducking..

See what happens I guess. A lot of very similar (I'd not identical) pipes are available online labelled as .21-.28, and my guess is the one in my car is a cheap copy (along with most of the other parts) - lol.

I don't think it will cause any engine damage, the worse will slow down or give less power as there may not have enough fresh air to burn. In the good old days, a muffler is what you get.

Yeah from what I've read it's the length of the pipe that matters most - Plays a part in determining which part of the torque band the pipe is 'tuned' to.
I might just end up treating myself to a JP2 as the stock pipe was always a bit crappy. JP2 comes with the correct length manifold too so should be suited to mid and high rpms.