S1670 digital surface servo smoking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evildoublez

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi,

So I've been having a lot of problems with my car... I'm seriously considering just scrapping the damn thing but since I've got about 350 into it I figured I'd see if maybe the gurus here at RCTalk could help me first. I was driving my car around and suddenly noticed that the brakes stopped working. After chasing my car down I took it inside and tested it, at which point the throttle stopped working as well (i.e nothing happened when i moved the trigger in either direction).

Then the s6170 digital surface servo started smoking. Of course i turned it off and unplugged the battery. Why would this happen suddenly? Something which may or may not be relevant: there is a serious fuel/oil leak there is oil all over the engine block, drive train, carburetor - maybe it sprayed into the servo and caused a short? I think I'm going to have to take the entire car apart and clean it but before i do i need to know if I'm going to need a new servo.

Thanks

15617831315875963457559881482686.jpg
15617832441775619954512857903034.jpg
15617833113255915954699724150573.jpg

Rumor has it that once all the smoke is let out of servos, electric motors and esc’s they need to be replaced. Try taking it out cleaning it up and testing it before replacing.

Rumor has it that once all the smoke is let out of servos, electric motors and esc’s they need to be replaced. Try taking it out cleaning it up and testing it before replacing.
Yup, once the magic smoke has been let out - it's usually best to replace it.

Servo failure will make everything on the car act weird. Replace it with some powerHD 20kg unit and you’ll be good to go.

Back