Rustler R1E Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great AC!I like those wheels especially
Thanks, Greywolf. Taking a different approach to speed runs with this platform. Opting for a taller tire and sacrificing ground hugging. R43X is fitted with a 5/8in FR air dam. That in and of itself requires a higher ride height. Hopefully the increase in tire diameter offsets the drag of a higher chassis ride. Heck, the FR tires offer as much frontal area as the body. :eek: As an aside, you may notice there are both allen head and button head screws fixing the replaceable hex on the FR tire in the image. Part of fine balancing the wheel.

Am Velcro securing the sides of the body where it meets the chassis in an effort to reduce air getting up under. Also made the FR air dam as wide as possible consistent with not fouling the steering to again deflect under body air. With a modest 60mph / 100kph the goal here, it may be o.k.

On-road street running is only one part of this package. Built as a dual-sport, am gunning for, oh, say, 50mph / 80kph on grass. That, too, begs a higher ground clearance. Want to run both surfaces with basically the same chassis set up and running configuration. Seeing that as a rewarding challenge for the Rustler R43X.

Thanks for following along, guys. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
Took the 2023 build out for shake-down runs yesterday. 50% TH setting. Good thing too. Wind gusting well over 20mph. Actually too windy for any kind of running other than slow speed. Which worked out well. Kept me from tempting to dial in more speed.

Made runs both up wind and downwind. Everything seemed solid. Took more steering sub-trim than I like. Have to re-look servo centering and servo arm placement. Need tethered body clips. Wind actually blew the clips out of the tray in the car stand. Swiss Army knife in there to weight down the stand when the car was off on a run.

She's got a lot more speed in her but held her back to 46kph (28mph). OBE (Overcome By Events) yesterday.

'AC'

20230115_134823_resize RCT.jpg

20230115_135256_resize RCT.jpg

Achieved the 80kph/50mph plateau today. That meets her interim on-road speed goal. Think she's peaked on 2S. 80kph at 90% power setting. Increasing to 94% THR dropped the speed to 79kph. Thinking the 21/46//2.19 gearing on 3300Kv sensorless tops this package out.

Time to up the game to 3S for entry into the 100kph/60mph club. More to come. Cheers. 'AC'

20230305_132134_Resize RCT.jpg

Achieved the 80kph/50mph plateau today. That meets her interim on-road speed goal. Think she's peaked on 2S. 80kph at 90% power setting. Increasing to 94% THR dropped the speed to 79kph. Thinking the 21/46//2.19 gearing on 3300Kv sensorless tops this package out.

Time to up the game to 3S for entry into the 100kph/60mph club. More to come. Cheers. 'AC'

View attachment 161310
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! gratz! can't wait to see what happens on 3S.

Thanks, Wolfie. Sticking with the 3300Kv for 3S. See how she does on that and go from there. Got a 3900Kv on the wish list as an option. Capping her speed in the 100kph/60mph + range. That's as fast as I want to go anymore. Eyes and reactions are fading fast. Gotta get 'er done. 'AC'

[Edit: Measured speeds are for a 132ft rolling start course, 2-way peak, out and back. Probably more in the tank if I let her run out further.]

Last edited:
Wow. Been a while since posting to this project. Had to go ten pages deep to find it.

R1E aka R43X gets an upgrade to 14mm wheel hexes. ST Racing Components ST3654-14R red anodized aluminum. Blue was sold out so went with red. Red color will serve to remind me they are no longer 12mm should I try to jam one of those on.

The STRC 14mm hexes secure in place with a 1.5mm set screw that engages the axle. Nice feature to ensure they either don't come off with the wheel or don't come off on their own without a wheel in place.

Went to the 14mm for no other reason than interchangeability (whew-long word) with my ARRMA Senton SCB. Save me changing hex inserts on the P-L Raid wheels. One, it's a bit of a PITA; and 2) the nylon on the P-L inserts do not really stand up to repeated re-use.

One note of point. The STRC are 1mm wider than the TRX 12mm aluminum hexes. 7mm wide for the STRC. 6mm wide for the TRX. Not a biggie for me, but for some may be a deal breaker. Personally, I like the extra thickness.

O.K., now the R43X is ready for grass track trials with a set of P-L Gladiator tires. They come well recommended on YouTube for running grass.

Thanks for looking in. Cheers. 'AC'

20230911_150136_Forum Resize.jpg

20230911_150837_Forum Resize.jpg

Last edited:
Back